1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

Speaker wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:20 AM
ralphael101
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker wiring

Does anyone know where the radio speaker wires meet up? I do know that they do not just go straight to the speakers. Without taking the dash down, I can't see where they meet up. I figure they meet at some sort of module or something. I don't have the infinity system. My rear speakers have 4 wires instead of 2. This is normal, but rare in most intrepids that I've seen in the junk yards. The other speakers have 2 wires. I need to find out because I think I burned out a box or module or something when I tried to hook up some new speakers in the rear deck. I tried to make a 2 wire connection for the new speakers and I think I fried something. I smelled the burning. I hooked the old speakers back up but they barely have volume. The door speakers don't work at all, but the dash tweeters do. I tried other radios and they play the same. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by ralphael101; 09-28-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-28-2009, 11:30 AM
22dodge
Banned

Oh boy, you could have really screwed up a bunch of stuff hacking in some new speakers.

if you have the mid range or premium system in your car, you have amplified speakers and an amplifier in the LR quarter panel. It is CRUCIAL you get a wiring diagram to see what needs to be done. and if you installed an aftermarket head unit, there's a single wire that needs to be grounded to turn on the amp.. a lot of people miss that and wonder why they have no rear sound

Attached Thumbnails Speaker wiring-radio.jpg  
Old 10-03-2009, 03:39 AM
ralphael101
Rookie

Thank you again 22dodge! I just found the amplifier a couple of days ago. I knew the infinity systems had them, but I didn't think my car had it. I just looked for the hell of it, and there it was. I haven't changed it yet, but I bet thats the culprit. I still have the factory radio installed right now. I do plan on upgrading that later. I just wanted to get the basics straight first. So you have helped me in a couple of ways. I can't wait until morning Thanks for the diagram also.

Quick Reply: Speaker wiring