1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

1997 Intrepid transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Gotroxblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Intrepid transmission question

I know that there are alot of questions similar to this, and I have searched the archives to try to avoid wasting your time. Well, the car is a 97, 3.3 auto, nothing special. I picked it up cheap with 180k on the ticker. It has oil and coolant leaks, and the front bushings are shot, so it's no gem. The problem first started when I was leaving work last week. I was going up a hill and the trans downshifted into third like usual, when all of the sudden it kicked out of gear. I let off the throttle and a couple seconds later, it went back in and I continued. It did this about 3-4 times on my way up the hill. At the top, it went into second, and stayed there. I did some research, and saw that it was likely a speed sensor. I bought both and just got done putting them in. I took it for a drive, shifted 1-2 fine, then 2-3 went to 2-N. Eventually, it kicked in and went. I don't want to have to deal with this, any ideas? If it's something more than $50- I'm getting rid (prob. scrapping) of the car. Thanks for your time.
Dan

Old 08-10-2008, 05:06 PM
ralphael101
Rookie

Ok, question first. Does this only happen on hills? You may just be low on transmission fluid. I hope thats what your problem is. Let us know how you make out. Make sure you have the right dipstick also. The yellow dipsticks break on these cars alot and people replace them sometimes with the wrong ones. There are two sizes for your trans.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:16 PM
ralphael101
Rookie

Also clear the code after you correct a problem. If not, it may not work until you do.

Quick Reply: 1997 Intrepid transmission question