SOHC pistons

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:54 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SOHC pistons

ORIGINAL: racerx55

have you guys ever had the eclipse motor and a neon motor apart at the same time? theyre identical other than reverse airflow direction in the head
What about the water outlet location?
( honestly i wish neons came with the 4g63) 420a is a heap of ****
The neons DON'T have the 420a engine. What about the crankwalk on the 4g63 engines? I have heard something about this.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:11 PM
hairdryer420a
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that would be nice if they came with 4g63's. Those are tough motors, I have seen 500hp on stock rods and crank. The rods started to stretch at around 550hp.I have seen this personally.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:42 PM
hairdryer420a
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: das2123

have you guys ever had the eclipse motor and a neon motor apart at the same time? theyre identical other than reverse airflow direction in the head
What about the water outlet location?
( honestly i wish neons came with the 4g63) 420a is a heap of ****
The neons DON'T have the 420a engine. What about the crankwalk on the 4g63 engines? I have heard something about this.
crankwalk only occured on the 7 bolt, 92.5-99 4g63 engines. they redesigned the oiling, and apparently it sucks. I have rarely seen crankwalk on the 89-92 6 bolt 4g63's. The 420a is loosely based on the mitsubishi 4g63, but the engineers scrimped and used cheap internals, otherwise we would'nt have to buy expensive rods and crankshafts just to make reliable power. I would like to make 300 reliable horsepower on stock rods and crankshaft. Im going to use hyper-eutectic coated pistons, Speed Pro P/N H852cp. GM has been using hyper-eutectic pistons in there turbo cars for years. Stronger than a regular cast piston, and just as cheap.What do you think the factory 4g63 pistons are made of? And they are boosting 20 psi all day long. Its all in the tune.

This is in a 95 eclipse RS, I bought the car for $400, had a broke timing belt. I pulled the head, had 4 bent valves. I had the head completely rebuilt including the valves for $150!!!. By a proffesional machine shop. I decided to pull the pistons while I had the head out, rod bearings looked good. The pistons showed a lil bit of scuffing on the skirts, I just assumed to put lower compression pistons in it since I planned on boosting it anyways. The cylinder walls still had the cross-hatching. Im going to hone the cylinders, put new rings, and rod bearings in. Im going to try out the Ebay, JIS gasket kit, it comes with a MLS headgasket. I pulled the pistons and the rods with the block in the car.

For fuel, I bought some 35lb/hr SVO ford injectors for $20 on ebay, I bought a used vortech 12:1 FMU from a guy local for $35.Walbro 255hp-$100 Im going to buy a SAFC. I got an EGT guage out of a freightliner, the probe is $28 at my cost, because I work there. I got a t-25 off of a SR20DET for $80 on ebay. This is going to be as budget as it can get.

Has anybody ever put a regulator on the boost side of an FMU to finely tune high RPM fuel trim?. If my theory is correct, with 300hp, 360cc/min fuel injectors, 72 psi fuel pressure is all I would need. my 12:1 FMU would be to much fuel at 9-10 psi boost, so if you put a regulator on the boost side, the boost side would only see 6-7 psi. Only because im running bigger than stock injectors.

what do yall think, does this make any sense.

Quick Reply: SOHC pistons