Is this piece important? o.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:47 PM
prplhaze
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this piece important? o.0

Hey guys,
I was driving my neon down a country road the other day..not speeding or anything.:P When all of a sudden I hear a clunk. I look in my rearview mirror and I see a rather large piece spinning down the road.I turned around and found the piece.It turned out to be a canister that had what looked to me like carbon inside of it.It was mounted inside the passenger side fendor with a plastic strap.I have no idea how it came undone and fell off, I have never touched it myself.Im hoping this piece is not too important.The car still seems to be running good.Thx for reading

Old 04-17-2007, 03:48 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is this piece important? o.0

that would be your evap purge canister

aparently it wont hurt the car to remove it....but you will have a little bit worse milage then with it since it takes the extra gas vapors from the tank and brings them up to the motor and pumps them into the intake manifold to get burned
i dont know if its true yet, but i removed mine in the r/t

you will want to find the vaccum line that goes from the manifold to the inner fender well....since the canister isnt there anymore, you will have a vaccum leak and may loose some power

Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

Wow..I wonder how that came off... I smacked mine around with a hammer and it was still hard to get off!! You jumping train tracks or something??

Old 04-17-2007, 09:23 PM
spudsterier
Legend

i fell asleep in the wifes car a few weeks ago anf ended up hopping a curbe and taking out a small fence post.....ripped off the front corner of the bumper and broke a chunk out of the evap canister.....but atleast it was still intact

Old 04-18-2007, 10:13 AM
lateralus823
Veteran

Hmmm this may bet he piece thats been strapped on my car. It fell off its a small rectangular black box and it has 2 hoses that connect to one side of it, but when it fell off my cruise control shut off too and my mom said my dad said its some air pressure thing and this guy at school said its some evap can or charcoal can i dont know lol but its right behind the driver side fog light or something i think what is it?

Old 04-18-2007, 04:12 PM
spudsterier
Legend

the passenger side little box is the evap....95-97 have a cylindrical canister...98-99 have a rectangular canister....
but
if its on the drivers side then it would be the cruise control vaccum box........its about 8 inches long, 3 inches high and 3 inches thick......mounted right behind the fog light and below the washer fluid resivoir..
if this box is gone, then obviously your cruise wont work

Old 04-18-2007, 06:00 PM
lateralus823
Veteran

I found it, put it back on and it was the cruise bro thanks though, but i dont get why my pops thought it was a air pressure can :P

Old 04-19-2007, 12:24 PM
spudsterier
Legend

your cruise control works by holding a constant vaccum pressure.....thats what the box does

Old 04-19-2007, 01:17 PM
prplhaze
Professional

Well...I did'nt mention that I hit a deer about 4 months ago on that side.I was on a gravel road at the time doing about 50mph.When I seen 3 deer coming across in front of me, I slammed brakes and got the car to kinda kick sideways, so I hit the deer right on the front corner of car.Killed the deer I hit it so hard.

So does the canister still do anything with the gas's if my egr valve is removed.? Also can I just plug up the hose somehow so I dont have a vacuum leak anymore.?

Old 04-19-2007, 04:01 PM
spudsterier
Legend

you can just plug the hole...not a problem
your egr and evap work separately from eachother.....so if the egr is gone, then the evap will still be used

Quick Reply: Is this piece important? o.0