1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

My rear brakes (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:51 PM
protivakid
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My rear brakes (PICS)

Alright, so after hearing some weird noises while driving w/ the windows down today coming from my rear driver's side, I decided to take off and inspect the wheel. The first thing I noticed was that the rim and brake pad were very hot, after examining the brake pad it was clear my rear driver's side brakes were sticking. The passenger rear works great, but parking brake on or off the driver's side hesitates to turn which explains the noise. I took some pictures though they may not help. I guess what I am asking, is for recommendations of what all to replace / check as I want to tackle this project ASAP. The brake caliber seems to be holding the pads onto the rotor so I probably have to replace the caliber, pads, and possibly the rotor if you guys think it’s a wise idea / seen its day because it does look at least somewhat worn. What price am I looking at and does the Haynes manual cover this project pretty well? Thanks in advance and please refer to the pictures below.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:33 AM
streetbikr600
Professional
Default RE: My rear brakes (PICS)

waht do u do drive in salt water. try greasing the slidre pins and check pads for metal melted in the pads

Old 06-13-2007, 01:35 AM
protivakid
Veteran

Haha well in MA during winter we put salt on our roads, when mixed with rain/slush this is what your average 10yr old car looks like lol.

So are you saying the caliber could still be good and just need some greasing? I was ready to go buy a new caliber tomorrow and put it on.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:44 AM
rjab0196

Hey isn't this you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u1SeBovnWI&NR=1

Old 06-13-2007, 01:51 AM
protivakid
Veteran

2 & 3 are better but yes that's me, though before I put on most stuff, back in that vid I didnt have the intake/exhaust, only the pcm, lowering springs, performance tires, n other random visual things. I really need to make a new vid, and only made those because everytime I Youtube'd "neon" I had trouble finding good first gen vids.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:49 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the love of God...clean those Koni's

Take the brakes off and inspect them.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:23 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

ahh yes road salt. . . but even mine wasnt that bad. but i worked at a car wash and your supposed to wash once a week in the winter and its a good idea to spray the underbody too... but anyways it could be your e brake cable sticking. even though you have it down the cable can stick. try getting under there and wiggling the cable see if that frees it up before you go about taking it all off. if that dont work then its time to dissasemble clean then re assemble number 5

Old 06-13-2007, 02:38 PM
protivakid
Veteran

Ya I considered the e-brake cable sticking but the other side is working like normal. E-brake up its locked, E-brake down they spin freely. And since I have been the owner of this car I have been simply storing it for the winter, it was the kid who owned it before me who never took care of it. But are you guys saying I should just clean them rather than buying a new caliber? I heard caliber's are not a whole lot of money.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:10 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

they are not a lot. they are also a core item.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:25 PM
ohioguru
Veteran

i had that problem with my neon....cept it was the e-brake that stuck...eventually it heated the pads and they later fell of and locked up my rear wheel....[&:]...my just had that problem....we think it was something that got on the brakes .....cause on disc brakes the padsare always in contact with the disc...

Quick Reply: My rear brakes (PICS)