1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Squeeling A/C related problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:17 AM
Dracolique
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeling A/C related problem

I have been looking all over the internet, but have not seen a solution to my problem so far. Please let me know if I simply missed it.

I have a 1999 Dodge Neon which runs just fine when the A/C is turned off (the engine is a little rough, but thats it really).

However:

When the A/C is turned on and the car is sitting still and idling, everything will work quiet and perfect unless I try to turn the steering wheel... in which case the steering wheel will lock up, the wheels will not turn, and a horrible squeeling noise will emit from the front right quadrant of the engine compartment (roughly where the A/C compressor is).

It is worth noting that this does not occur when the A/C is turned off... the wheels turn just fine while sitting stationary... no noise whatsoever.

Also, if the A/C is running while I am accelerating from a stop, the same squeeling noise will occur between or shortly after the automatic transmission shifts from 1st to second, and sometimes from second to third.

Power loss is associated with the squeeling noise as well.

I checked the belts and pulleys, and all appears to be fine (although I suppose I could have missed something), and I have oiled around the A/C compressor pulley, but nothing has changed.

Any ideas?

Old 06-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Dracolique
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Squeeling A/C related problem

I should also mention that I have checked the power steering system... it is properly filled, no leaks, etc...

Since the wheels lock up when this happens (at least when the car is not moving), it would make sense to assume that it is somehow related to the power steering system... but I have no clue why it ONLY happens when the A/C is on.

Quick Reply: Squeeling A/C related problem