1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Blue98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start!

I have a '98 SOHC that is has been having all sorts of problems lately. First it was overheating, so I took it to the nearest shop and they said I had to replace a relay and a harness that only came from chrysler for $400. i think they try to take advantage of girls like me, so I asked my dad and he just went to the parts store and got a relay and no harness. It started fine. He noticed the positive post in the battery was loose of the battery and actually seemed like it might come out of the battery. I have a feeling this is from the evil car mechanic i took it to because the terminal wouldnt even come off.

So we got a new battery and it was fine for about a week. Then one day it started fine in the morning as usual, i drove to work and parked it, then after work I went to the parking lot and it wouldnt start. It wouldnt crank or anything. The radio and lights were fine. The tow truck guy messed with it and said the starter was making a "clunk" so he thought it might be the starter. My dad took out the starter and had it tested and said it worked. He cleaned the wires and put the starter back in. now it doesnt even clunk, it just does nothing when the key is turned. the radio and everything work, and it makes that little "hummmm" when you turn the key, but the engine and starter dont do anything.

Please help! I need my car to get to work every day, so its kind of a pain having to get a ride everywhere! Thanks!

Old 07-11-2007, 12:21 AM
dcmcguy
Veteran
Default RE: Won't start!

the humm is the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel system...make sure ALL the bigger wires between the battery and the starter are very clean and have no corrosion on them. also check the ground wire. i had a neon that i replaced the starter in just to find out that it was fine and i had a bad connection...

Old 07-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Check your battery posts, go to the parts store and buy a post and terminal cleaner, 9 out of 10 times this will happen because of a bad connection, even if your radio and such works because they dont draw anything near what your starter will. Next, re check all of your fuses and relays, if fuses are good, change the starter relay out with the horn relay, and see if it starts. Then, take a ratchet and socket and turn the engine over by hand via crank pulley bolt. If it turns, you are good. If not, that means you seized up the engine. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:50 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask your Dad to check all your grounds.

Quick Reply: Won't start!