1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Engine removal w/o tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:15 PM
junkie97neon
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine removal w/o tranny

I am trying to pull the engine, and leave the tranny in the car. I'm sort of lost on which bolts I need to remove to seperate the block and tranny, but still leave the tranny supported. I removed all the bolts I could find that connected them, I guess actually connected the bellhousing to the block? And I just removed the 4 bolts that connect the flywheel to the torque converter? And I was going to remove some long throught bolt that you access from the drivers side wheel well, after removing a rubber cap, but I didn't have the right size socket. So, I quit working for the day. But, after searching through the forum, it seems that maybe I don't have to remove that bolt.

So, basically, are there any other bolts other than the ones that you can see connecting the bellhousing to the block, and the 4 under the dust cover connecting the flywheel to the torque converter. Thanks in advance for your help.

Oh, also, I sorta have myself in a bind. I wasn't originally planning on pulling the entire engine. Started as water pump/timing belt problem. Then decided I was gonna pull the head, and finally decided to pull the entire engine. Too, many seals/gaskets leaking. Any way, I have the car on jackstands, the bottom of the engine supported with a floor jack and just hooked the hoist to it today. I think I might be able to start lifting the engine with the hoist, use the floor jack to jack up the car and get it off the jack stands, because I don't think the hoist will lift the motor up high enough with the car on the stands.

One more thing, I have the engine chained at: where the spacer bracket? that has 3 bolts to mate it to the block under the timing cover, and one of the "ears" where the bellhousing attaches to the block.

'97 SOHC automatic

Old 07-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Default RE: Engine removal w/o tranny

Im not sure, but im pretty sure its easier just to pull the tranny too. Lets let spud and das handle this one

Old 07-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Aerorat
All Star

When we done my swap it didn't take five minutes to lift the motor out and out of the way. We had the front of the car sitting on the big 5 ton jack stands. the motor and trans cleared the car just fine.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:50 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im gonna give this a shot but i have a hard time with longs posts....so,
if you are planning on leaving the tranny in the car then do not remove the bolt in the wheel well....that would be your tranny mount bolt....
remove the starter
completely remove the front motor mount....there is the long 15mm bolt that goes through the motor mount and the mount on the car....then there is 2-15mm bolts on the front of the block that hold the mount bracket to the block......then there are 3 bolts that hold the bracket to the tranny..
after that there is 1-18mm bolt on the rear of the block right by the oil sending unit
then 2-18mm bolts on the upper portion of the block/tranny
depending on your tranny, there might be a brace on the rear of the motor that bolts to the tranny that you have to remove
then the inspection plate and the 4 torque convertor bolts

you will want to put a floor jack or jack stand under the tranny to support it

after the motor is unbolted from the tranny you will have to kinda slide the motor to the passenger side to dislodge the guide pins and the torque convertor

if memory serves me correctly, i think that should be it

Old 07-19-2007, 10:57 PM
junkie97neon
Rookie

You said something about the inspection plate, is that the thin metal plate that covers the flywheel? If so, I think I should be good except for pulling the front mount the rest of the way off. (sorry for that long post) Thanks!!!
Now, about the places I chose to mount the chain to(at the very end of original post), do those sound okay? Or should I pick some other spots to lift it with? Thanks a million!!!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Aerorat
All Star

make sure the chain is not going to bepressing on any plasic pieces or no breakable aluminum. Also make sure the center gravity is lower than where you have the chainhooked and try to center the weight the best you can.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:47 PM
brucewin
Rookie

of course the manifold to tail pipe(wd40) and alt wires and any other wires behind the motor.
if you wrap a chain around the engine be sure not to accidently wrap it around the axle as it is close behind the engine.
That is if you cant balance it the way u have it. balance it good and it should lift up easy.Take the radiator, overflow ,fans and anything else that even might be in the way. this will make your project easier.......

Old 07-19-2007, 11:54 PM
junkie97neon
Rookie

Yeah, I'm well into it. Not much left in there. The alternator and power steering pump and resovoir are off but still in the car, all wire disconnected from the engine(I think). Pretty well there, but unfortunately I'll prolly have to work 16 hr days the next 3 days, and won't have a chance to work on it til Monday, or "my weekend" of Wednesday/Thursday. Thanks again for all your help!! Ya'll are great!!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Aerorat
All Star

We are glad to be of help and you may be able to help if I come up with a problem

Old 07-20-2007, 12:00 AM
junkie97neon
Rookie

Oh, by the way, what would you estimate the weight of the engine to be?

Quick Reply: Engine removal w/o tranny