1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Question about rad fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 04:46 PM
kris95neonspt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about rad fans

Ok so i started work on my project neon and gut it to start running but the rad fans will not come on but it also is not over heating from what the temp guage is saying but i know they work b/c when i first started the car they turned on while it was cold.I dunno if the computer was relearning it self or what i also have no check engine light on and left the car run for about 25 mins and watched the temp guage very carfully and it went right to norm running temp and stayed there so what can it be?

Old 07-21-2007, 05:40 PM
ryleynoyes
Veteran
Default RE: Question about rad fans

try turning on the a/c if you have it, in my experience the a/c kicks in and the rad fans turn on

otherwise, if you don't have a/c, it could just be that without driving it, you aren't actually getting the engine warm enough to kick the fans on, once the thermostat opens, it is enough to cool the car without the fans

someone else may know of a trick to kick the fans on?
wait, hold on, got the haynes right here, maybe this will help you?
(3-3 in my book, engine cooling fan and circuit -check and component replacement)

Check
1 The cooling fan(s) operation is controlled by two different conditions. Whenever the air conditioner is running, the cooling fans will always be operating. The fan(s) will also run when the coolant reaches a specified temperature on information sent to the Power Control Module (PCM) from the engine coolant temperature sensor. The PCM then turns the fan On for the various engine coolant temperatures and vehicle speed combinations.
2 If the engine is overheating and the cooling fan is not coming on, unplug the electrical connector at the base of the fan motor and use a fused jumper wire to connect the fan directly to the battery. If the fan still doesn't run, replace the motor, test each motor separately on models so equipped.
3 If the motor is okay, but the cooling fan doesn't come on when the engine gets hot, the fault may be in the coolant temperature sensor, the fan relay in the PCM, the PCM, or the wiring that connects the components.

that should help tremendously, that's about all the further i can help
i took that straight from the Haynes manual

Old 07-21-2007, 06:14 PM
kris95neonspt
Professional
Default RE: Question about rad fans

Yeah that should help out alot man.I totaly forgot about turning the ac on lol. Thanks alot for your help.I also think it might have a blown head gasket that might also be why its not getting hot enought to turn the fans on.

Quick Reply: Question about rad fans