1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

door panels part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:56 PM
luckycharms
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door panels part 2

how do i take the door panels on my 96 neon off i was told to remove the window crank and then pop it off cuase its clipped on from there but does the window crank just pull off or is it like screwed in im totally lost

Old 07-23-2007, 11:06 PM
kris95neonspt
Professional
Default RE: door panels part 2

There is a metal clip on the shaft of the window crank that you have to push out you can use a flat screw driver or you can pick up a tool at the auto parts store thats made to get it out.I use the tool it makes it 100 times easier. also there is 2 screws that hold the door panel one is behind the inside door handle and the other is in the part where you grab the door to shut it.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:22 PM
luckycharms
Rookie

thanks, after that i slowly pull it up or straight out as far as the clips go

Old 07-23-2007, 11:35 PM
kris95neonspt
Professional

No you have to take those 2 screws out on is a torx the other is a phillips screw and the the clip is behind the window crank shaft it looks like a e clip almost it has to come off all the way.I always put a shirt or pice of clothing down when i take that clip off because it sometimes flys out and can get lost you have to use a small flat head screw driver to push it out or i have used a butter knife before also to get it out.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:50 AM
luckycharms
Rookie

thanks its alot easier getting it explained rather than trial and error

Old 07-24-2007, 01:08 AM
kris95neonspt
Professional

No problem if you have any more trouble with it just let me know i can show you pics of a window crank off the car so you know where that clip is located.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:15 AM
Dr_KY
Professional

Just get the proper tool it's so much easier and will cause less damage, they sometimes come in a nice little kit with the proper tools to remove the door panel so that you don't have to play tug with it and chance cracking the panal or destroying the clips that hold it in place. I bet you can find a kit at Autozone, Pep Boys, Chiefs, Kragen ect. for around ten bucks.

Instructions-

The first step to removing the door panel is to remove the window crank. There is a special U clip that holds the window crank unto a groove on the window crank shaft. You must remove this clip before you can do anything else on the panel. This clip can be easily removed as shown with a door handle removal tool, or with a very flat screw driver or piece of metal. Once this clip is removed then the door window crank should come off easily. Next you must remove two other screws. One is in the door pull cup (may look different on other neons, I know mine is facing up not back) and the other is behind the latch release handle. The one in the pull cup requires a screw driver, but the one in the door latch release handle requires a torx bit. Once these three things are removed, then the panel may be removed by pulling the edge of the panel out from the bottom of the door. Work your way around and up. You may then lift the panel slightly to remove it from the top of the door. Next you have to unclip the rod that connects the door latch to the door latch handle. You should now be able to remove the panel completely.

This kit will do and they do come cheaper...

Here is a picture for the Neon. Hope it helps. CLICK on the atachment below.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:30 PM
luckycharms
Rookie

im gunna end up getting that kit and just have it work fine the first tiem than messsing with a screwdriver

Old 07-24-2007, 12:40 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

use a fork it worked for me and was simple

https://dodgeforum.com/m_648122/tm.htm

Old 07-24-2007, 03:01 PM
kris95neonspt
Professional

That kit that Dr_KY is showing your is similar to the one i bought i gut it from auto zone or advance auto parts can't remmber but i paid like $8 for it and its worth every penney makes getting that clip out 100 times easier.

Quick Reply: door panels part 2