1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Popping out of fourth Gear,,, PROBLEM STARTED AGAIN AFTER THE OIL.. HElp

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:54 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Popping out of fourth Gear,,, SPUD, DAS, ANYONE WITH KNOWLEDGE

ok but i forgot something when the problem first occured it was 3rd and 4th but know just fourth so what was the problem then??

Old 08-21-2007, 12:39 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: boxerjl2

all I had to do is add 90 weight gear oil to the trans
gear oil?? for the Tranny

see i thought the Manual Trans diddnt have oil or something cuz there is no oil pann or anything like the autos do... so were do i put the oil???
The tranny has gears in it and they need to be lubricated, so why wouldn't you think it has gear oil in it? Do you have any type of repair or owners manual? If not, I suggest you get one and read up about your neon. We are here to help, but you gotta do some reading on your own.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Aerorat
All Star

I agree with das you do need a manaul. Hanes is ok, But I prefer Chiltons.
Anyways raise the drive's sideand put on jackstands remove the drive's side tire. There is a black plug in the trans on the front side of the trans (front of the car). Grab with a pair of pliers (long 45 degree needle nose pliers worked best for me) and pull the plug out.Use your pinky and stick in the hole. Like a dip stick. You should be able to cover your the whole end of your pinky in gear oil. If not then add some. I recommend get about a foot and a half of 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch vaccume line to make it easier to fill.
Me I just filled it up until it ran out pretty good then put the plug back in. Then clean up mess. I also recommend having a dip pan under the trans. And working with 90 weight gear oil can be fun but is worst in the winter. I would setclosed bottle inhottest water posible. The hotter you stand the easier to squeeze into your trans.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:58 PM
97dohc2dr

sorry i didn't mean to come across like i am the only one who is right,
Yes, check all easiest options first, linkages, fluid level
Think of your manual trans as a big Differential, it actually does have a ring gear such as a rear end. a manual trans is all gear to gear, no clutch discs or anything like a automatic, and the automatic has an oil pump in the front diven by the input shaft the lubes the tranny with ATF red stuff.... a manual tranny is all gear to gear with synchronizes inbetween gears to mesh them and engage them
since its gear to gear like a rear end differential, they use gear oil 80/90
A for fixing the tranny yourself, i'm not sure of your mechanical ability, but it has to come out of the car, split in half and the gears would have to be pressed off and on to replace synchos...
I hope i was of the some help and didn't offend anyone
i'm sorry
Brian

Old 08-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Aerorat
All Star

No offence taken here just wanted to make sure to do the least expensive first in trying to touble shoot

Old 08-22-2007, 02:19 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

true to that aero and thanks brian, das, spud and neoncrazy and aero for the instructions im hoping i just need some 90 weight lubrication... cuz im sure its not full cuz the people b4 me didnt even change the oil [:'(]and they sold it like that... but i fell in love with it so i bought itbut fiberglass HATES me evertime i fix my front bumper,,, i break it again but atleast ill get good at body work... and will prolyy take my car to a maccos and get it painted anyone know the perticulars on macos ive heard that they dont sand they just paint but idk

yes i have the Chiltons Manual for my car but its on the computer and harder to navigate threw but yes i just need to sit down on my comp and read the whole thing

Old 08-22-2007, 02:27 AM
neonracer1010
All Star

similar problem, well not really but when i park in my driveway and put it in third, my car rolls while its in gear

Old 08-22-2007, 02:31 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

thats pretty weird but dont know if its similar.. hmm

i have a ? how does a Manual car start without pushing in the clutch one of my friends cars will turn on without the clutch pushed in it just sounded weird to me

Old 08-22-2007, 02:45 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: neonracer1010

similar problem, well not really but when i park in my driveway and put it in third, my car rolls while its in gear
all cars will roll in a high gear, you can push your car if you leave it in 5th.

boxer we told you months ago to get a manual of some sort.
you better read up.
ive had one in a race car run out of oil and it jumped out of 3rd constantly during the race but i managed to finish 2nd fighting it. i filled it up, and of course it was junk after that but it stayed in 3rd.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:52 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: boxerjl2

thats pretty weird but dont know if its similar.. hmm

i have a ? how does a Manual car start without pushing in the clutch one of my friends cars will turn on without the clutch pushed in it just sounded weird to me
its called a clutch starter switch, like a netral switch on an auto

Quick Reply: Popping out of fourth Gear,,, PROBLEM STARTED AGAIN AFTER THE OIL.. HElp