1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

neon dying... then it's fine, then dies...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:01 PM
ryleynoyes
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neon dying... then it's fine, then dies...

so, i haven't been on in a while, as i was picking up my "new" neon

it's a 1997 neon highline with a dohc swap. je 8.6 or 8.8 turbo pistons, #12 nitrous grind cams, msd ignition, etc.

now, the problem is, it starts, and drives just fine, and then without notice it will just cut off. after i slow down in neutral, sometimes i have to full stop, i can restart the engine and it will drive just fine again. sometimes i can drive it without a problem, but it seems like once it happens in a trip, it will keep cutting off worse and worse (shorter intervals between cut outs)

i have a couple ideas about the problem, just wondering what else it could be? i'm thinking it's the auto shutdown relay (ASD), which i believe would imply my cam position, throttle position, or crankshaft position sensor is bad? (or bad wiring, the harness is fairly badly hacked). the other things i'm thinking it could be is a bad ground?

any suggestions would be great

i just put new plugs in it. i'm extending the msd harness to remount the msd in a better position, hoping that may help or fix it.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:21 AM
ryleynoyes
Veteran
Default RE: neon dying... then it's fine, then dies...

bump!!!

Old 09-01-2007, 12:47 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

hmm i know that was happening when my alt didnt have a good ground id check that out but i dont know much but thats what was hapening to me

Old 09-22-2007, 03:01 AM
neontuner21

Man this kid is a ****in dumbass!! No jk bud whats up? U still aint got that figured out or what, u been tearin it apart yet? What does jackie think about it? I was on modernperf. the other day and there really statin to suck royal *** cause they dont have half the stuff they used too. I bought my hub assly today, hopefully puttin those on this weekend, broke down and bought both sides, hey buzz me someday and gimme ur adress so i can send u some mula

Quick Reply: neon dying... then it's fine, then dies...