1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

pleeeease help!!! engine trouble. its something simple

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:31 PM
justinsanders
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pleeeease help!!! engine trouble. its something simple

The engine will start. but its hard to get it to start. then after it starts its hard to keep running. if you sucessfully keep it running for 15 seconds then it will idle forever. but it runs very bad around 500 rpms. then if you give it gas then let go it will stall. everything was fine when i was driving it then when i was pulling into my yard i noticed it was idling at about 500 rpms so i shut it off and popped the hood and everything looks to be fine. i was thinkin the timing was messsed up but then i figured it wouldnt run at all. then i figured a vacuum line came off. it may also be getting starved of fuel maybe a clogged injector or something. it runs ok at 3000 rpms. i was then thinking the idle cable was loose but it still runs rough at 1000 rpms where it should be. please help me any input would help. i need it for tomorrow

Old 08-28-2007, 07:13 PM
justinsanders
Captain
Default RE: pleeeease help!!! engine trouble. its something simple

i managed to drive it up to autozone for a free diagnostic test. after stalling going 40 down the road. basically cylinder 4 was misfiring. the computer said it was running too rich abecause 4 was misfiring. so its been running on 3 cylinders. now how do i test wether the coil pack, ignitionwire or sparkplug is bad?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:14 PM
justinsanders
Captain

ok so i just replaced the spark plugs with theNGK iridiums and still the same thing. i think the plug is getting spark but im not 100%. i dont kno exactly how to test that. i took the plug out and connected it back to the wire and touched the threaded part to the top of the motor to ground out the plug and it did arc several times where its supposed to but the guy at autozone said that when its under compression that it would take more juice to make it spack so it might not be arcing in the cylinder. NE ONE?!?

Old 08-28-2007, 10:17 PM
justinsanders
Captain

am i just talking to myself?

Old 08-29-2007, 04:54 AM
tattoojack
Veteran

i think you have stumped everyone! damn, wheres a mod when you need one.
actually i think i saw on here some where that certain plugs arent gonna work right in neons. look around for that one.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:36 PM
justinsanders
Captain

i did have copper ones in there when it stopped running right. then after i put the new ones in it didnt make a difference

Old 08-29-2007, 07:18 PM
justinsanders
Captain

i started it and let it run on its own then i pulled the wire from cylinder 4. there was no change except for that you can hear a bunch of clicking. then i pulled cylinder 1 after i plugged 4 back in. then there was a change it began to run rougher. and i could also hear the same clicking sound as soon as i pulled it off. so now it sounds like theres no spark to that cylinder. i dont think that the coil is bad nor do i think the wire is bad. and i know that the plug isnt bad cuz its brand new. so where does that leave me? im also pretty sure the fuel injectors arent clogged. im just assuming this because the computer said it was too rich and throwing gas through the exhaust system. so any input PLEASE I NEED OPINIONS

Old 08-29-2007, 10:39 PM
justinsanders
Captain

well thank you all so muchfor helping me through this trouble i had. im just gonna take it to the shop tomorrow.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:56 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

well if know that you have a bad cylinder i would recommend a real spark tester. Yes its harder for the spark to jump with compression in the cyclinder. so most spark testers have the electrodes spaced farther away then the one on the plug. the guy at auto zone should have told you that they have spark testers.
http://www.surespark.com/
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Inline-Ignition-Spark-Plug-Tester-BEST-Troubleshooter_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem30014550 1502QQitemZ300145501502

Old 08-30-2007, 07:02 PM
justinsanders
Captain

well now all of the sudden it felt like firing on all cylinders. i replaced the coil pack and had the same problem. so i put the old one back on so i could get my money back from the new one and it started right up and ran perfect.

Quick Reply: pleeeease help!!! engine trouble. its something simple