1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Headgasket is being replaced. Some q's.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:57 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headgasket is being replaced. Some q's.

Well Ill be tearing into the engine soon, replacing the headgasket.

Does a leaking headgasket ultimatly mean a warped head for sure?
Is there anyway I can check the head surface myself when it comes off, with a straight edge or similar?

Car has 203,000 km's on it, so it will probably be the MLS. Doesn't over heat, coolant slowly goes missing, can't find leaks, it bubbles like crazy on warmer days when its turned off, doesn't do it when its running. That I can hear anyways. Spark plugs are pretty white, hard starting after it has sat over night. All this makes me think HG.

Any advice, opinions appreciated!

Thank you

Old 09-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Aerorat
All Star
Default RE: Headgasket is being replaced. Some q's.

with a straight edge check it from coner to corner making a box fig and then check it in a X fig corner to corner. You will need some feeler gauges as well because there is a maxuim gap you can have.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:37 AM
dirt_trac_racer_80jr
Professional
Default RE: Headgasket is being replaced. Some q's.

i jsut went throught the same thing with my race car ..its a 98 neon ...when the car is running and is up to running temperaturecan you take the radiator cap off w/o it pukingcoolant everywhere...if it pukes out water your head is cracked gonna need a new one...ultimatly when you get the head off the car take it to a machine shop and have them pressure test it..this will tell you if there are any cracks..also have them straight edge it for you ...if the shop is resonable this should cost you 40 to 50 dollars...good luck _-kcolwelland colwellmotorsports

Quick Reply: Headgasket is being replaced. Some q's.