1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Drive Cycle

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:56 AM
linuxstudent
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Cycle

I have a '96 Neon SOHC that I am trying to get smogged. At first, I had a code that was coming up, but that has since then been repaired and all is looking good. However, according to my code reader, the Catalyst monitor still has not run even after 375+ miles since the computer codes were cleared. Does anybody know what the drive cycle for a 96 Neon SOHC is and/or any methods that would specifically make the Catalyst Monitor run? Once the Catalyst Monitor runs, I can get it smogged. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-22-2008, 12:13 AM
atxjax

ever find the anser to this? I am in desperate need of this info also....

Old 11-22-2008, 03:13 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

have you tryed resetting the PCM

Old 11-22-2008, 01:21 PM
atxjax
Old 11-23-2008, 07:09 AM
atxjax

OK. Figured it out with the help of u guys and searching the web. Apparently there is a TSB on the 96 models because when you shut off the engine it erases the readiness status of the monitors from the PCM memory. TSB 18-005-01. I beleive if you go to a stealership they will perform this at no cost to you.

What I did was drive the car for an afternoon and leave it on and go straight to the inspection place without shutting it down. Let the guy at the shop know not to turn it off and test it immediately. It will pass.

Below is the copy and pasted info from the link above just in case the link becomes broken in the future....

This is a Chrysler/Dodge specific drive cycle (Chrysler's tend to be easy to pass through, so if it hasn't gone through after a few days of regular driving, there is probably a problem):

Check engine light off, codes cleared; cold start.

-warm up engine 5 minutes (or until closed loop is reached--5 min is usually plenty)

-drive (w/ steady throttle) at a steady speed between 40 and 60 mph for 8 min

-stop and idle 3 min

-drive (w/ steady throttle) at a speed above 20 mph for 2 min

-turn key off, leave off 10 min

At the very least, usually a day or two of a mix of highway and back road driving will complete all the monitors.

Edit: BTW, you may want to check on your Neon, but the 96 I used to have had a problem with the computer which was COMMON with Neons. Some have faults in the computer. The computer resets the monitors EVERY time the key is shut off, meaning it was never ready for inspection. Chrysler is aware of this so it was free to take it to the dealer and have it reflashed to correct this. I had to have mine done a couple years ago, it started doing this without warning. If this was required on your year neon and has been done, there should be a sticker indicating so in the engine compartment, or a Chrysler dealer can look it up by vin and can tell you if it's been done.

Quick Reply: Drive Cycle