1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

WON'T START!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 03:04 PM
BlwnGazkit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WON'T START!!!!

Hey guys, I'm pretty confused...

I have a '96 base model neon and all of a sudden this thing won't start or run!

At first I thought it was the fuel pump since it didn't have any fuel in the injector rail, so I replaced the pump. Well now it has fuel in the rail, don't know how much pressure, but the fuel is there. Anyway, it still won't start!

I've looked for any obvious signs of something loose or unplugged but don't see anything. The wierd part is this happened so quickly! I mean the car worked Friday and then didn't work on monday!

I tried an old troubleshooting trick and poured some gas into the intake and it runs when thats done, and will continue to run as long as gas is added. That tells me that it's got SPARK, and Compression, but it's not getting fuel on it's own.

Anyone have any thoughts on what my next step should be??

Old 09-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Default RE: WON'T START!!!!

I dunno, das, I forget, does ASD relay kill the gas and the spark or just fuel? Anywho I would check fuel pump fuse, asd relay, and connections at the injectors.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:32 PM
BlwnGazkit

I've checked the Pump fuse and relay and the relay had the same part number as the ASD relay so I swapped them and nothing changed, but now that I think about it I may have just swapped problems with the same result! Lol, a bad ASD relay would keep the injectors from firing and a bad Pump relay would keep the pump from pressurizing the line. So if either was bad it probably wouldn't start...

I'll try swapping both for new relays, they're cheap.

Any other ideas for me to chew on?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

You could have just swapped the asd with the horn relay, but oh well. Check if you are getting codes by turning the key on, off, on, off, on in less than five seconds, then watch the check engine light and count the blinks.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:29 PM
BlwnGazkit

Yeah I tried getting codes that way but the only thing that it blinked was that everything was fine.... Which would make sense, if it ran!

Quick Reply: WON'T START!!!!