1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

SRT-4 Swap..Questions About Motor and Trans'

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:17 AM
tattoojack
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SRT-4 Swap..Questions About Motor and Trans'

i would, but only because all the stuff is in one car. if they had a badass kit for the sohc to compete with the srt i would be all over it.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: tattoojack

i would, but only because all the stuff is in one car. if they had a badass kit for the sohc to compete with the srt i would be all over it.
From talking with several people, they have said my Garrett T03 turbo from a 80's Ney Yorker running 7psi of boostwill get me to around190hp on a stockSOHC engine which is cresting SRT-4 territory, the SRT makes 214hp and don't forget its a 2.4 liter.

190hp in a lighter first Gen Neon would be enough to be at least a side by side race with a heavierSRT-4 assuming your tranny will hold up.

I like the SOHC engine because it is a underrated Engine andit doesn't get enough credit for its power and durability, non MLS equiped engines deserved the flack they got for durability but the 98+ SOHC is Rock solid and i say that will all honesty seeing as I havn't blown mine up yet under my severe abuse.

RecentlyI wiped the smile off of a kid who had a DOHC Automatic Neon against my SOHC Automatic and I must say he got owned, allI have done is a TB spacer and header along with a gas guzzling DOHC PCM and I won pretty handedly in a highway Race up to 110mph tilltraffic was getting heavy.

After we pulled into a gas station and he asked me if my DOHC was just rebuilt and I said its a SOHC with 130,000 miles on it and I popped the hood and showed him and he was pretty amazed he got owned by a SOHC then he didn't beleive me it was mostly stock becasue he's heard storys from his friends about the SOHC being a push over when raced by a DOHC.

He could have been a bad driver but thats the 3rd confirmed DOHC automatic I've taken out with my SOHC, all 3 can't be bad drivers.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:41 PM
HondaEater

I do have a professional mechanic doing all of the install/wiring. Doesn't mean he's paying for it though?
My thing is why pay 20,000 for an srt-4 when i could build a similar motor, put it in the lighter first gen
and blow srt-4's doors off? I've done the math it comes to about 22,000 dollars in parts to build a guarenteed mid to high 10 second car w/ that motor in the first gen. 22,000 dollars will get you an srt-4
w/ stage 2 and that's it. So you tell me which you'd rather spend your 22 grand on..hmmmm

Old 09-21-2007, 06:22 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HondaEater

I do have a professional mechanic doing all of the install/wiring. Doesn't mean he's paying for it though?
My thing is why pay 20,000 for an srt-4 when i could build a similar motor, put it in the lighter first gen
and blow srt-4's doors off? I've done the math it comes to about 22,000 dollars in parts to build a guarenteed mid to high 10 second car w/ that motor in the first gen. 22,000 dollars will get you an srt-4
w/ stage 2 and that's it. So you tell me which you'd rather spend your 22 grand on..hmmmm
personally i would rather spend 22,000 on an srt4......especially since you can almost buy 2 of them for that price

Old 09-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Aerorat
All Star

nope i like having the sleeper
as far as building the 2.0 you do everything to the 2.4 as you do the 2.0 and the 2.0 won't touch the 2.4
If you want a srt 4 wrecked keep checking ebay and you can get a whole car for 2500 - 3500 dollars

Old 09-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Why are you guys shooting him down so much? He's right, we do not know his funds, but you guys are also right, it really would be worth the money to build up your current 2.0.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:37 PM
pssssst
Veteran

never have seen a srt go for under 5 grand no matter how bad the condition.... and yes i would rather have the srt any day than to the fastest 1st gen... its way sweeter looking and factory tuned so it will at least be dependable.... hondaeater, uclearly said in you first post you cant find a srtswap in your price range lol so how do u expect to dump 22 grand into the 1st gen??? and +1 on never seeing a srt in a junkyard

Old 09-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Aerorat
All Star

i was just watching a black 04 srt 4 wrecked on ebay go for $1900

Old 09-28-2007, 06:17 PM
HondaEater

=]. Nevermind guys. I found a place with 6, yes 6 SRT-4 Motors+Trans, not a scratch on them for sale.
No bull****. Thanks though even though i got more **** talk on this forum then i did anywhere else i brought my idea. Peace

Old 09-29-2007, 05:46 AM
tattoojack
Veteran

ORIGINAL: HondaEater

=]. Nevermind guys. I found a place with 6, yes 6 SRT-4 Motors+Trans, not a scratch on them for sale.
No bull****. Thanks though even though i got more **** talk on this forum then i did anywhere else i brought my idea. Peace
well if they got six then why dont you share the info? or is this place magical?

Quick Reply: SRT-4 Swap..Questions About Motor and Trans'