1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

SRT-4 Swap..Questions About Motor and Trans'

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 04:26 PM
HondaEater
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT-4 Swap..Questions About Motor and Trans'

Hey Guys, I know this has been asked countless times but I havent really got the
answers I've been looking for anywhere in this forum so far so here goes.

First gen neon..blah blah blah SRT-4 Swap. Well Im 17 and can't really find a
banged up SRT-4 w/ motor and trans, or a complete swap in my price range.

I've done searched on the Caravan, Stratus and other 2.4 motors, and i want to know
what i'll need to make my motor similar to the srt-4's. MPx (Modern Performance.com)
sells a bottom end engine rebuild kit for SRT-4s including forged pistons and all
that other good ****. Does anyone have any other recommnedations as to what i can
do to build a similar motor.

And as for a tranmission to mount, what other 5-speed tranmissons will mount to the
2.4 Block beside the NVG-T850 (SRT-4 Trans) Because its really hard to come across.
I need something durable im trying to push 600 hp outta this motor in the long run
Thanks and sorry for the recorruing questions about the swap i know its probably annoying
by now lol!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:17 PM
NEONRT98
All Star
Default RE: SRT-4 Swap..Questions About Motor and Trans'

You can take a 2.4L and put SRT-4 internals into it and be good to go. Though, I woudl think you'd be better off either building your 2.0L or getting the SRT-4 engine. As for pushing 600hp... I am not sure if an SRT-4 has even reached that landmark. Thats alot of power. The stock SRT-4 turbo is not going to push anywhere NEAR that number. Then upgrading into your bigger trims for turbo is getting pricey! Not to mention you have to look at the safety aspect of that too. If your pushign 600hp, your going to need beefier axles, performance clutch, the T-850 Tranny (because the T-350 that comes stock in the 1st gen Neon is not going to handle that). Basically your going to need to beef up everything, and by that time you might as well have bought an SRT-4 haha... I would stick with the t-350 tranny on the 2.0L or 2.4L built-up motor and put either the Hahn or SRT-4 turbo on it. Personal opinion.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:17 PM
HondaEater

Buying axels and all that isnt a problem i was planning on all of that in long run anyways.
There's plenty of SRT-4's that have reached over 600hp, not on the stock turbine i don't know
where you got that from i didnt say anything about keeping the stock turbine i was looking
for something more along the lines of AMS (Automoto Sports) T3/T4 Turbine Kit. Might wanna
check You tube or something and search for an srt-4 vs zo6 corvette. that's AMS at work
And the reason i dont want to just buy an srt-4 is because of the weight factor, and sleeper factor!

Old 09-20-2007, 02:53 PM
tattoojack
Veteran

hondaeater, what the guy was basically sayin is, at 17 years old and obviously on a budget, this car will be sittin in the garage for a while. either waitin for money to buy the stuff to get it all to work, or replacing broken parts because of your increase in power. if you are serious about doin this, buy an everyday driver for the meantime and park the neon. then you will have all the time in the world to add on as you can afford it. you are tryin to put 50 pounds of **** in a 5 pound bag. those srt's you see destroying vets and vipers is in no way any where near a stock srt. completely built from the oilpan up with race parts and reinforcements. also if you don't have access to a dyno or other diagnostic equip. you are gonna be hatin that swap by the end of it. turbos take alot of tuning to get just right and safe. good luck.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Slashwannabe

AHHHHHH Bob Saget!, Fk the SRT-4 engine its a mythical pipe dream for us 1st gen owners!

Theres just 15 SRT-4s ineveryjunk yard in the United States justwaiting for you to pay $200 to take them home..... gimmie a break lets keep our head into something more realistic and build the 2.0 up for less money and more pride than what you could find an SRT-4 engine for. Yeah you can get lucky and find a cheap engine but he's 17 and he has more problems than a cub scout at Neverland Ranch so give him a break and lead him on a road thats more realistic. Oh by the way the best part isthe SRT-4 Enginebolts right up and uses the first Gen PCM so its one hell of an easy swap...[:'(]Not.

Wouldn't everybody like the SRT-4 Engine in their car? Sure would but lets get our head out of our assses.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:05 PM
HondaEater

Funny how ya'll know my budget and ****

Old 09-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: HondaEater

Funny how ya'll know my budget and ****
Well put it this way...

You Drive a Neon and Your 17 and gas is $5million a Gallon.3 things that scream I'm fkn broke (at least to a inssurance company).

If you wernt hard up you be asking us how to install a Blower on your 426 Hemi Powered Charger.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:21 AM
tattoojack
Veteran

well first off hondaeater, if you didnt have a tite budget (ie. mom and dad is gonna pay for it) you should be paying a professional to do this. plus if your 17 and mom and dadaren't payin for it, there is no way you are gonna have time or energyto work on your car after you finish the 80 hour work week at your three jobs you have to hold toafford all this for your car and still pay bills (lets not forget graduate from high school)

and slashwannabe, i don't know what people in your town are doin to their cars to put so many in the yard, but both my north of chicago place, and in jacksonville, fl i have yet to find 1 (one) srt-4 in the yard. most of the time someone that knows or is related to the yard owner gets first pick and poof, gone forever.

but essentially, yes it is a mythical pipe dream that this site and others, well not the sites but the users, have built up so far that it is beginning to challenger the "ricer" plague. a guy just today, total stranger,saw me park my neon and when i got out he asked me if i was gonna put an srt4 in it! wtf? its gettin hysterical.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:51 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: tattoojack

well first off hondaeater, if you didnt have a tite budget (ie. mom and dad is gonna pay for it) you should be paying a professional to do this. plus if your 17 and mom and dadaren't payin for it, there is no way you are gonna have time or energyto work on your car after you finish the 80 hour work week at your three jobs you have to hold toafford all this for your car and still pay bills (lets not forget graduate from high school)

and slashwannabe, i don't know what people in your town are doin to their cars to put so many in the yard, but both my north of chicago place, and in jacksonville, fl i have yet to find 1 (one) srt-4 in the yard. most of the time someone that knows or is related to the yard owner gets first pick and poof, gone forever.

but essentially, yes it is a mythical pipe dream that this site and others, well not the sites but the users, have built up so far that it is beginning to challenger the "ricer" plague. a guy just today, total stranger,saw me park my neon and when i got out he asked me if i was gonna put an srt4 in it! wtf? its gettin hysterical.
I agree its almost as bad as the "are you going to put a DOHC head on" question.

My comment about 15 Srt-4's in every junk was a parody of the way people are always suggesting the SRT-4 as a choice. I've seen manny 2000+ Neons but I'm not even sure if any are SRT-4s and I havent seen any 2000+ Neons in the junk yards yet.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:50 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe
Wouldn't everybody like the SRT-4 Engine in their car? Sure would but lets get our head out of our assses.
i wouldnt

i have yet to find an srt4 in the junk yard

Quick Reply: SRT-4 Swap..Questions About Motor and Trans'