1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

egr block off

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:48 AM
lateralus823
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: egr block off

There are no performance gains to bloccking off your EGR valve. For the code, you can pull the EGR valve off and cleaning it up. Most of the time the transducer is what goes bad though.

Taken straight from a post of DAS'. Don't listen to Slash.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: lateralus823

There are no performance gains to bloccking off your EGR valve. For the code, you can pull the EGR valve off and cleaning it up. Most of the time the transducer is what goes bad though.

Taken straight from a post of DAS'. Don't listen to Slash.
Das was open to the idea of it being a possibility, they don't sell block off kits just to not pass inspections there is a reason.

Also where is your dyno sheet to prove it doesnt do a thing? I don't have Dyno proof either but my theory makes more sense, infact much moresensethan adding a cold air intake which wouldn't cool the intake charge half as much as removing the EGR wouldand that is a fact.

I seriously do not know why it is so hard for you to comprehend that Engines love cool air and your cold air intakes are just creating a hair dryer effect by leaving the EGR on, blowing HOT air into the combustion chamber. Your Cold Air intakes would be more effetcive if they didn't have to fight hot exhaust gasses from the EGR. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp?

The car will Run good enough without an EGR, Your IAC motor controls how the car runs in winter for starting anyway.

When will somebody grow a brain and admit that removing the EGR doesnt let hot exhaust gasses into the intake thus keeping the intake cooler?.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:12 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe
I don't have Dyno proof either but my theory makes more sense
I was open to the idea but then read this...
ORIGINAL: Una
The EGR[/b] does increase the intake temps, but it COOLS the combustion temperature. So what runs hotter when you remove the EGR[/b] is the combustion. This can lead to pinging under certain situations. With more octane, you should be able to overcome this, as well as making more power because you are not "diluting" the fresh intake air with pre-burnt gasses.
Which makes alot of sense to me.

And also this...
ORIGINAL: plymouth_neon_1998
The car has a built-in EGR[/b] blockoff[/b] kit.

When you step on the gas, the PCM blocks the EGR[/b]. Voila.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Slashwannabe

AFter reading this : http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/nov97/gas.htmIt seems as if the EGR does help performance but only when set up correctly.

But it also seems that the recirculated gas takes up the air and fuel mixtures place and weather that is enough to lose power who knows. Its complicated and I understand more about ti now than I did before and it appears with newer cars that if it was designed to run a certain way let it run that way don't try to change.

Well I'm going to swap EGR's from my other engines

Old 09-21-2007, 05:18 PM
tattoojack
Veteran

i do believe it has a purpose, don't get me wrong. i just also believe that there is something to be gained from blocking it off too. however just blocking it off is not the answer. it should be done properly, on a car that doesn't need to pass emissions, and is more for racing than street. however, when i go back to florida, no emissions. bye bye egr!

Quick Reply: egr block off