1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:18 AM
AJay
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo...

?...can u turbo a SOHC motor...if so would it be cheaper to do that or an srt-4 swap....

Old 09-20-2007, 07:55 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: turbo...

of course you can turbo a sohc......
almost any turbo kit for a neon would cost alot less then an srt4 swap

srt4 swap is alot of time and alot of money

Old 09-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Slashwannabe

my turbo set up is only gonna cost me about $300 only cuz I have a Garrett Turbo from an old Chrysler New Yorker, I'm spending $75 to rebuild the turbo and $25 for a new waste gate and about $100 for a turbomanifold (possibly custom) and $100 for odds and ends, I'm not going to use an intercooler right nowbut I may end up going that route later on, I'm not going for max performance I'm just going for a little back seat push

Pretty much I'm doing what Chrysler should have done with their available parts and what they intended to do with the original 2.2ltr4 cylinder which is use aTurbo ona engine with4 valves per cylinder and better port design

I hope to get a 50hp gain off of7psi of boost on my SOHC but I guess time will tell....

Hey Spud are my expectations too high? lol

Old 09-20-2007, 12:47 PM
racerx55
Record Breaker

with that turbo it is, lol. wow those things still exsist? i think i have parts for 3 or 4 of them still that i blew apart on my old 88 chrystler laser.
na, i think you could get 50 hp but be carefull how much you boost.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:47 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

my turbo set up is only gonna cost me about $300 only cuz I have a Garrett Turbo from an old Chrysler New Yorker, I'm spending $75 to rebuild the turbo and $25 for a new waste gate and about $100 for a turbomanifold (possibly custom) and $100 for odds and ends, I'm not going to use an intercooler right nowbut I may end up going that route later on, I'm not going for max performance I'm just going for a little back seat push

Pretty much I'm doing what Chrysler should have done with their available parts and what they intended to do with the original 2.2ltr4 cylinder which is use aTurbo ona engine with4 valves per cylinder and better port design

I hope to get a 50hp gain off of7psi of boost on my SOHC but I guess time will tell....

think there will be a possiblility of ping, knock, detonation without and intercooler

Old 09-20-2007, 08:51 PM
AJay
Veteran

well i made a bet wit my parents...if i lose 50lbs in tha next month...they will buy me an srt-4 motor and tranny...so ya any sugestions on how to lose it....lol....

Old 09-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Mat00ES
Captain

Eat smaller meals, more times a day. It speeds u your matabolism, I lost 20lbs in about a week. Plus, exercise and no crappy fast food, or soda.

Mat

Old 09-20-2007, 09:25 PM
AJay
Veteran

wow....plus it will really help me...i weigh 265 so ya i need it....thanx.....

Old 09-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: AJay

wow....plus it will really help me...i weigh 265 so ya i need it....thanx.....
I weighed 270 about a week ago and after eating Burger Kings $1eachSpicey Chickens andI weigh 255 now andI'm 6ft tall and not really fat butI tuck my gut in a bit...lol

2 hours after eating 3 spicey chickens you'll **** them right out and you wont feel hungry couple that with sit ups and coffee runs in the morning you'll lose weight faster than Michael Jacksons losing friends. : )

Old 09-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: 12 volt

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

think there will be a possiblility of ping, knock, detonation without and intercooler
I was going to run it pretty much like a stock 2.2 Turbo car setup with about 7psi of boost so hopefully I wont get knock or pre detonation, I also have the DOHC pcm which gives a bit more fuel so maybe it will be a good match.

Quick Reply: turbo...