1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Changing out 97' NEON SOHC water pump and could use some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:28 PM
justin.chamberlain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing out 97' NEON SOHC water pump and could use some advice.

I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could provide me with better instruction on changing a water pump out and possibly some tips to get it done faster. Someone told me that I should take off the front pas. tire and pulley to get to the pump easier. Also wondering if there are some tricks with the timing. Someone told me I need some sort of a scanner to set it. Thanks

Old 09-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Slashwannabe
Default RE: Changing out 97' NEON SOHC water pump and could use some advice.

Tell ya what your going to be doing most of the work from the right wheel well so you'll need the tire off, and also you will need a jack under the engine to lift and lower the engine to get the mount bolts out and in. And incase it wasn't obvious enough you will first use the jack to jack the front of the car up and place it on jack stands not car ramps (you could use a car ramp for drivers side tire if you want but not the passengers side.)

Ok first you will remove your power steering pump from its bracket andprop it up next to your Power Steering resoviorandand take your alternator belt off (DO NOT take your power steering hoses off at all!! )

look at these links in order of the way I put them and it should give you an idea of whats ahead of you. They kind of retrace steps becasue they are too lazy to give a step by step for each thing so you will have to ignore some of the stuff from each previous link that you allready did.

Damper Removal:http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

Timing Cover Removal: http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

Timing Belt and Sproket: http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

Water Pump: http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

So what you should follow is the directions for taking the damper off, followed by the timing belt cover followed by the belt tensioner and cam sproket followed by the mount bracket follwoed by theback timing belt cover followed by the water pump. follow this order and you'll be ok.

Sadly this is the fastest way and pretty much the only way.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:17 AM
lateralus823
Veteran

I tell ya my pump went and i watched my uncle change it. That timing belt cover is teh stupidest idea ever. for the simple fact that you have to take the pulley off to get it off!

Old 09-21-2007, 01:11 AM
tattoojack
Veteran

anyone know the pros and cons of leavin the timing belt cover off in its entirety?

Old 09-21-2007, 01:41 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

anyone know the pros and cons of leavin the timing belt cover off in its entirety?
youll get you fingers caught in the pullys

Old 09-21-2007, 04:11 AM
Slashwannabe

Pros: You have easy access every 100,000 Miles to get at the pump. You get to go to Auto Zone sooner so you can watch that hot cashier bend over while getting your Neon parts from the bottum rack...lol

Cons: Your belt only lasts 20,000 Miles due to moisture and rocks from the road pounding it, and from you pouring oil or power steering fluid inyou've missed a few times and its gotten on the belt andstarted to weaken it or the engine just decided to **** on its own belt. Also you could get hypnotisedfrom watching thecam gear go around and you could stick your finger in there just to see what happens.Also once your belt blowsyou get to go to Auto Zone and watcha fat Asian dude who owns the Riced out Civic in your parking spaceclimb up their ladder to get your parts.

Honestly, is not taking that 1 cam bolt and 4 screws that hold the cover on thathard to do to risk ****ing your belt up sooner?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:00 AM
tattoojack
Veteran

"youll get you fingers caught in the pullys

Also you could get hypnotisedfrom watching thecam gear go around and you could stick your finger in there just to see what happens."

you guys crack me up so hard sometimes! lmmfao

Old 09-21-2007, 12:57 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slahwannabe pretty much summed it up. It's not difficult but will take some time. Make sure you have a way to compress the tensioner pin, get the right puller and some sockets and ratchets ready.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:57 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

Also you could get hypnotisedfrom watching thecam gear go around and you could stick your finger in there just to see what happens
there is some truth to that, jsut a couple of days ago we were doing an engine run up on a cessna 421. While im trimming idle (1:00AM)RPM i look up and see one of my fellow coworks (checking prop RPM)slowly walking towords the prop. i fash my light at him an he stops, later that nighti ask him what he has doing and he said that the refective tape on the prop must have hypnotised him. True Story

Quick Reply: Changing out 97' NEON SOHC water pump and could use some advice.