1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

How do you tell???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:04 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you tell???

Hey guys how do you tell if your bobble strut is going out??? I know mine is just like all the others around and everyone keeps telling me to shove a few washers in there... but heres where it gets weird... I have the red polyuritane (SP) motor mount inserts all the way around. And when I'm driving lets say in 2nd and I have to let off the gas, my car jerks like duu---duu-duuu-duuu-duuu (i know thats a bad way to explain it but sound it out.) when it goes to slow down. I was told by another Neon owner that knows alot but is in all other ways retarted that it was called motor play. Before he told me this I thought it was the motor moving during shifts due to the bobble strut being bad, however I've heard of people compleatly removing there bobble strut when they get the motor mount inserts. All my motor mounts have between 3000 and 5000 miles on them. Could it be the transmission?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:09 AM
tattoojack
Veteran
Default RE: How do you tell???

there is a solid strut you could get but it will make your ride a lil harsher. take the one you got out and drive around the block, if there is a major difference, change the strut.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:57 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

tried that jack and it feels the same as if it was in there leading me to belive that its compleatly blown and not damping the motor during shifts or when you downshift to slow down.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:23 PM
tattoojack
Veteran

since you already put stiffer buchings in that was probly the straw that broke the bobbles back.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:45 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

probly the straw that broke the bobbles back.
hahaha

thats funny

about the solid bobble strut.. will it make your engine run better or worse.. i would think that if the engine doesnt move then it has more force to send to the tires but i dont know

Old 09-23-2007, 02:21 PM
tattoojack
Veteran

stiffer=more traction. too stiff, more wear on the engine and mounts and what not. stiffer doesnt make the engine run better and definately not smoother. you WILL notice a solid bobble. remember seein your engine move up and down slightly whenever you rev it. imagine that shift of force bein transmitted into the vehicle body via that solid strut. some people dont mind it.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:24 PM
NEONRT98
All Star

The solid bobble isnt bad except in like 1st and 2nd while under acceleration. You can definately tell! But just driving around isn't bad..