1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

struts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:53 PM
blair_183
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default struts?

I have a 99 neon R/T, with 17 in rims, and low profile tires. When im driving down the road i hear like a clanking sound coming from my rear end. I called a place and they said it SHOUDLNT be my struts cuz i only have 100k miles on the car. and my sway bars are good. so does anybody have any idea what else it could be?

Old 09-30-2007, 08:06 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Default RE: struts?

Did you install the spacers or no???

Old 10-01-2007, 05:39 AM
blair_183

i have done nothing to the car, it came like this when i bought it, but it just started recently makeing the noise

Old 10-01-2007, 01:18 PM
tattoojack
Veteran

when i put 17's on mine they had to put the balancing weights on the inside edge of the rim and after a while they slid off a lil bit and started hitting the suspension bar that runs towards the front of the car. eventually the weight fell off so it stopped but then my back tires werent balanced. couldnt tell tho. get a set of offset spacers for your back rims and that should stop it.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:08 AM
unclemike
Veteran

OK. You didn't say if the clanking sound was regular or not. By regular I mean like when you got a stone wedged in the tire tread.
My 1998 Neon had a noise in the rear when I would hit a bump. It was one of the strut bearing rubbers going bad. The strut itself was Ok as a 100k strut would be. Since this is a daily driver, I got the kits that come complete with struts and bearing pre assembled with new springs. No messing with a spring compressor.
Anyway carefully pull the trunk liner away from the tops of your rear strut towers, pop the rubber caps off and look for rust or dust around the top of the strut rod and nut assembly.
I got a Plymouth Neon that had the rubber go bad ad let water in to the point ir rusted out the washer and allowed the strut rod to pull out of the bearing and punch a new hole in it. Talk about camber.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:20 PM
blair_183

ok well i had the car checked out it was rear struts and mounts need chaged, sway bars are BENT, and i need new tyrods on the front .....quoted me about 900 dollars...

Old 10-21-2007, 10:18 PM
unclemike
Veteran

How good are you with hand tools? Do you have a driveway jack? The strut kits are the easiest way to go becuase you don't risk a face full of spring if the spring compressor isn't on right. You can get four new struts complete with bearings and springs for $563.00 plus shipping. Less if you use a discount code. They were a bit less when I bought them. $48 dollars later I had a four wheel alignment and was good to go. I put my 17" on and have had no rubbing problems but then I bought thru Tirerack and they guarentee the fit.

Quick Reply: struts?