1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

neon stalled in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:03 PM
neon1996
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neon stalled in traffic

My daughter's 96 neon stalled in traffic. Would not start back up right away. Went back two hours later and it started right up and has been running fine ever since. Any thought? she won't drive it unless we are sure it won't do it again. No codes were showing.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:30 PM
SCCA B8
Default RE: neon stalled in traffic

pcm

Old 10-11-2007, 07:36 PM
20NeonSXT04
Professional

SCCA you live in manassas right I see you all the time at BK i have the silver neon with srt hood...

Old 10-11-2007, 10:46 PM
neon1996

This might be a stupid question. What is a PCM? I'm a stay at home mom and I don't know that much about cars. Thanks for answering my post. If no codes are showing, would a code reader help? I hear Auto Zone does it for nothing.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:56 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

i think this is whathe is talking about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_control_unit

Old 10-12-2007, 01:37 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

That was extremely random to shout out the pcm, dont listen to that. Take it to a mechanic, there are sooooo many things it could be, if I had to guess though I would say it is the ASD relay, or automatic shut down. It will kill the spark and gas in the even of an accident or if it senses a malfunction. But, before you take it to a mechanic, go out to the car, put the key in the ignition, and turn the key to the on position (but not start), off position, on, off, on in under 5 seconds, and then watch over on the left hand side of the instrument cluster and after a few seconds the check engine light will start to flash. Count the number of blinks in each digit and let us know. For example, 12 would be blink, pause, blink, blink. Let us know what you get and we can tell you what they mean.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:09 AM
neon1996

sorry it took so long for me to reply. The car was running fine again, until today. It shut off twice while waiting in traffic. Each time it started right back up.
My daughter managed to get it into a parking spot at school and shut it off. When she came out after class a few hours later it wouldn't start. My son and husband managed to get it running by always keeping on the gas a little. Seemed to be running really rough as if not all the cylinders were firing. I did what you said and turned the key three times and letting on the third time, and I got 12 ,17 and 55. I think the 55 means end of codes. any suggestions would be really appreciated. thanks in advance.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:21 AM
tattoojack
Veteran

ORIGINAL: neon1996

sorry it took so long for me to reply. The car was running fine again, until today. It shut off twice while waiting in traffic. Each time it started right back up.
My daughter managed to get it into a parking spot at school and shut it off. When she came out after class a few hours later it wouldn't start. My son and husband managed to get it running by always keeping on the gas a little. Seemed to be running really rough as if not all the cylinders were firing. I did what you said and turned the key three times and letting on the third time, and I got 12 ,17 and 55. I think the 55 means end of codes. any suggestions would be really appreciated. thanks in advance.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_63384/tm.htm

Quick Reply: neon stalled in traffic