1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

What do I need for a sohc to dohc swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:28 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What do I need for a sohc to dohc swap?

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

ORIGINAL: NeonCaleb

That being said...If I swaped in another SOHC with DOHC heads will I still need to change the wiring harness and will a DOHC turbo setup than fit on the motor?
the dohc turbo setup will then work....you might need to extend some wires, but thats about it....

only remember that it wouldnt be to wise to swap a dohc head on a sohc block if you dont end up going turbo since the lower compression will drop your N/A power
It's the same block (I know you know this Spud), but the DOHC has higher compression pistons.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:17 AM
spudsterier
Legend

i know

Old 10-16-2007, 10:26 AM
NeonCaleb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's say I wanted to swap the heads. Would I use a DOHC or SOHC Head gasket...and if I swapped the pictons would I would use DOHC piston rings and oil ring right? Would I have to make any changes to the crank bearings or anything like that?

What I'm leaning towards now after reading this is getting both a spare SOHC and DOHC motor and doing the Head Swap in my garage and then mayeb consider doing a turbo setup. If i swap both the head and the pistons could I then put it in the car and run with no power loss? Also, If I'm looking to do a turbo setup...should I keep the SOHC pistons or still switch out to DOHC pistons?

Old 10-16-2007, 11:09 AM
spudsterier
Legend

if you swap the dohc pistons, use the dohc rings...
crank bearings would be the same
if you swap a dohc head and the dohc pistons then there wouldnt be any power loss since you would then technically have a full dohc motor...
here is the thing about the turbo setup:
if you run sohc pisons with a dohc head then you will have lower compression....lower compression allows you to run higher boost......but if your gonna use the stock pistons then i would suggest running the dohc pistons for higher compression.....so, no matter which stock pistons you use, you will still only be able to run he same amount of boost safely....so the higher compression would be better...

my red r/t is actullay faster now then it was with the built motor because if i run the same amount of boost then the higher comp. pistons have a better output. when i had the built motor one of my intercooler pipes ell off which the car very very slow due to low compression

Old 10-16-2007, 11:11 AM
das2123
Legend

Let's say I wanted to swap the heads. Would I use a DOHC or SOHC Head gasket...and if I swapped the pictons would I would use DOHC piston rings and oil ring right? Would I have to make any changes to the crank bearings or anything like that?
DOHC head = DOHC HG
DOHC pistons = DOHC rings

Also, If I'm looking to do a turbo setup...should I keep the SOHC pistons or still switch out to DOHC pistons?
Use the SOHC pistons.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:20 PM
NeonCaleb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: das2123

DOHC head = DOHC HG
DOHC pistons = DOHC rings

Also, If I'm looking to do a turbo setup...should I keep the SOHC pistons or still switch out to DOHC pistons?
Use the SOHC pistons.

Thanks. Very much appreciated.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:57 PM
spudsterier
Legend

if i had to do it all over again, then i would get some stock dohc compression pistons

Quick Reply: What do I need for a sohc to dohc swap?