Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Turbo Time

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:01 PM
99 Neon
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Time

so im pretty stuck on the idea that i want a turbo and a Hahn Racecraft turbo. Seeing as my engine is finally running strong and only has 60K on it i should face no engine problems. Yes im gonna buy some internals and a UDP before i start saving for the turbo, but i know this is what i want. Money isnt the biggest deal so dont go off of that. Go by what you honestly think would be the better investment. Your guys input will help me out a lot. So if your too lazy to respond with advice at least pick one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hahn Racecraft turbo system is a ready to bolt on turbo kit made specifically for the Neon. Currently it is offered in two stages- a non intercooled system (stage 1) and a intercooled system (stage 2). Stage 1 (Kit Details)
The stage 1 kit puts out about 200-225 hp at the crankshaft. No internal engine modifications are required and has a maximum of roughly 5 to 7 psi of boost. High octane fuel should always be used.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stage 2 (Kit Details)
The stage 2 kit puts out nearly 250-275 hp at the crankshaft. That's an additional 50 horsepower with just the addition of the intercooler. Again, no internal engine modifications needed and has a maximum boost range of 8 to 10 psi. High octane fuel should only be used.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Common Components:
(Included with all kits)
[ul][*]Super 16g Mitsubishi turbo
(This turbo is highly known in the DSM communities for its efficiency, and fast spool up times and reliability.)
[*]Cast Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold[*]Ceramic coated, mandrel bent 2 1/4 Down Pipe[*]Single pipe, stepped design from 2" to 2 1/4"air piping.[*]Standard, OE 3000 GT Blow off valve [*]Fuel pressure gauge for tuning of system [*]Fuel pump [*]regulator [*]hoses [*]fittings [*]lines [*]electronic mods [*]K&N w/ mandrel bent piping [/ul]
Performance Numbers:
1/4 mile times on slicks:
Stage 2 Kit
Mild Weight Redux
Results: 13.0 @ 105 MPH
(Your results may vary)

Old 10-12-2007, 01:09 PM
pssssst
Veteran
Default RE: Turbo Time

if money is no option buy a srt 4 lol but honestly i like the srt4 turbo setup like spud did the best for the 1st gen

Old 10-12-2007, 04:20 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want an easy system with an installation manual then go with the stage 1 hahn kit.....only difference between the stage 1 and stage 2 is that the stage 2 comes with an intercooler....save yourself the money and buy the stage 1 kit and then get an aftermarket intercooler....then if you need the intercooler pipes, let me know......i have a complete intercooler pipe kit from the stage 2 hahn kit sitting in the garage

Old 10-13-2007, 11:26 AM
99 Neon
Veteran

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

if you want an easy system with an installation manual then go with the stage 1 hahn kit.....only difference between the stage 1 and stage 2 is that the stage 2 comes with an intercooler....save yourself the money and buy the stage 1 kit and then get an aftermarket intercooler....then if you need the intercooler pipes, let me know......i have a complete intercooler pipe kit from the stage 2 hahn kit sitting in the garage
Why thank you so much. I guess ill get those of your hands somewhat soon because its gonna take me awhile to save up 2K. So its better to have it sitting in my garage than yours. Im really serious about this and i cant wait to have it. Stage 2 turbo in my lil neon. I think im gonna buy the UDP and some turbo pistons and a turbo cam before i officially start saving for the turbo. So your positive the diffrence between stage 1 and 2 is just the intercooler?

Old 10-13-2007, 04:35 PM
spudsterier
Legend

the absolute only difference difference between the stage 1 and stage 2 is that stage 2 comes with the intercooler, stage 1 does not

Old 10-13-2007, 05:38 PM
99 Neon
Veteran

awesome im just gonna have to buy me a nice reliable intercooler at some point. So yeah just pm me spud about that intercooler piping.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:53 PM
estneon
Record Breaker

hey pssssst.....even srt-4 owners upgrade their turbos...i can't stand everybody saying the srt-4 turbo is the ****....it's not the best butits still a good turbo but you can do better ....im starting to sound like slash[&:]

Old 10-13-2007, 09:23 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

I hope im not making an *** of myself by saying this but....I beg to differ with you spud... There is a another difference. The acuators that come on each turbo between stage one and two are two different acuators. to back this up I went to hahnracecraft.com went to there price list and looked up item number H TS-2480 the desription of this item is as follows "Neon Stage 1 to Stage 2 upgrade using front-mount intercooler. Necessary piping is included, and a higher-psi actuator allows 8-9 psi of boost." And the cost is $997.49. however if he goes with an aftermarket intercooler and your piping all he would need is the acuator item number AC-6000-15#Actuator Kit, Adjustable Includes Actuator Canister, Rod, Clevis, and One Pressure spring $188.99 and then would need an boost controller to bring the pressure back down to 10-12 psi. unless he decides to just run 15 psi all the time witch is a bit much for everyday driving, with gas prices being the way they are. lol.
No disrespect or me trying to act like a smart ***. Just thought I would speak up...lol

Old 10-13-2007, 11:24 PM
spudsterier
Legend

i never noticed a difference.....though if you use the stock bottom end then you wont need the different wastegate anayways

Quick Reply: Turbo Time