1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Engine went pop and antifreeze everywhere!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:43 PM
turboplz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine went pop and antifreeze everywhere!!

Ok, so not even 30 minutes after getting the brakes fixed and seeing how the car would handle on the interstate the engine decided to crap out. This is a 97 neon with a DOHC motor that my father-in-law was letting me fix up and drive for a while.

Well, cruising at about 70 mph(auto) and about 10 minutes interstate there was a pop I heard and could feel in the accelerator and then the engine just died. Luckily I was right at the entrance to a rest stop and was able to coast in to a spot. I get out and antifreeze EVERYWHERE. I see if I can restart the motor and nothing, just the whining of the starter.

I got it towed back to the house yesterday and decided to try and find the problem today. Seeing as how it gets dark by 7 now I had time enough to test fuel/spark and compression to which fuel and spark were fine but compression was zero across the board....wtf?? The engine is turning over but a bad headgasket wouldn't give you zero compression in EVERY cylinder. So as the sun is setting I'm taking off the timng cover to find the timing belt is nice and loose, I was able to slide it right off the cam gears. And this is where I had to leave off tonight.

So.....father-in-law says the belt was changed 3k miles before the car was stored for the past three years...my dumba** I replaced and checked everything except for flushing the cooling system. I have a couple questions...

1) Is the water pump attached to the timing belt on the dohc motors?

2) If the pump is ran by the timing belt, does it sound possible that the water pump locked up causing the timing belt to strip a couple teeth?

3) Seeing as how the timing belt is the issue, I take it this motor is toast, correct??

I'll be able to dig more into it this weekend, I just wanted to see if I could get some input from anyone, thanks!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Default RE: Engine went pop and antifreeze everywhere!!

Yes, the water pump must of locked up which is usually the cause, the motor might be toast but you dont know until you tear into it, the worst thing you could have down though is turn the motor over...

Old 10-25-2007, 07:50 PM
turboplz

I did not know that these were interference motors until after I had already tried to turn her over, otherwise I never would have.

Even still, the damage is done....these motors can be found cheap enough. My father-in-law is saying that the SOHC version is supposed to have a better headgasket design and blows less frequently than the DOHC motors, is there any truth to this?

He wants to put a SOHC engine in it rather than another DOHC.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: turboplz

I did not know that these were interference motors until after I had already tried to turn her over, otherwise I never would have.

Even still, the damage is done....these motors can be found cheap enough. My father-in-law is saying that the SOHC version is supposed to have a better headgasket design and blows less frequently than the DOHC motors, is there any truth to this?

He wants to put a SOHC engine in it rather than another DOHC.
I'm gonna catch holy hell for this but....THE DOHCIS OVER RATED.

SOHC all the way!

If your DOHC Block crank and pistons are good, throw a SOHC head on it for higher compression and more power, the DOHC has higher compression pistons vs the stock SOHC so a SOHC head works way better with these pistons. the DOHC and SOHC block are the same block and evencasting # so you should have no problems

Old 10-25-2007, 08:15 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

I'll catch some hell with ya slash...
I would go with the SOHC anyways, has more torque from the line. and its not a bad motor all around. You will need to swap the computer as well if you do, do the swap.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: 95to96transplantneon
You will need to swap the computer as well if you do, do the swap.
Actually you wont

I'm using the DOHC computer on my SOHC right now.... 5 wheel Horse Power over stock SOHC computer! Gtech proven!

Yeah the SOHC has more power where its needed, Alsoyou've allready been in the race85% longer by the time the DOHC decides to wake up which by then your chance to overtake an opponent might be over.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 PM
turboplz

Well, this is just a little daily driver that we're looking more for longevity out of than racing around...that's what my Xr4ti is for. So will any year SOHC head work then? and is there anything different such as intake manifold, exhaust mani fuel rail, injectors, etc....??

Is the ECU swap straight forward as well or should I find some wiring diagrams and rewire some stuff? Though I suppose if the DOHC ECU will work, why even bother!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:51 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use the SOHC head you will also have to replace both manifolds as well. Stick with the DOHC head and get an MLS HG. The SOHC HG isn't a better quality HG, I don't know where your father-in-law heard that.

You will more than likely need to get the head resurfaced and the valves replaced as well.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:20 PM
noenwarrior
Rookie

no compression usualy menas bent valves but arnt the dohc pistons sloped so they dont hit when the belt breaks? id just put another dohc head on new water pump and head gasket and u should be fine. or put high performace valves in while ur down there.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:25 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: noenwarrior

no compression usualy menas bent valves but arnt the dohc pistons sloped so they dont hit when the belt breaks?
They are domed for added compression not for the interfenence that can happen.

Quick Reply: Engine went pop and antifreeze everywhere!!