1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

plenum spacer

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 02:40 PM
mmench
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plenum spacer

ok so i get bored easy and usually have nothing to do ...... so yesterday i took the aluminum manifold that i am porting and polishing and a gasket set and made my own plenum spacer. took me like 3 min with a plasma cutter and i had it roughed out. drilling the holes for the bolts was the toughest part since i didnt drill them perfect so i dremel tooled them out a little. all i have left to do now is smooth and blend the inside and outside edges to match the manifold. tell me wat yall think. im pretty happy with it

https://dodgeforum.com/photo.asp?pho...=6&apage=1

Old 11-08-2007, 08:03 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: plenum spacer

thats a nice looking manifold you got there.....looks good
so what are the advantages of this spacer???? more volume???

Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 PM
mmench
Captain

lol its the mani you sent me lol. i have it 75 percent done the port n polish. yea i seen the spacer on the internet somewere for like 100 dollars and was like screw that i can make it easy. but yea i think its supposed to increase the amount of air that builds up between the runners and bottom of the plenum. like for more available volume or something. idk lol

Old 11-08-2007, 10:06 PM
justinsanders
Captain

kinda off topic but i noticedon your license plate itsays maryland. just wondering what part exactly cuz my dad is from there.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:05 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

ok so i was told that i could get my manifold and tb ported and polished for 75 bucks and its a guarntead 20 hp... anyone know anything about it.. but i was told i could not use the tb spacer..

ok i looked at the picture, what is the advantage of this spacer over the spacer that goes between the Throttle body and the intake manifold...??

Old 11-08-2007, 11:48 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20hp is a complete misconception.....thats just dumb.....
you can port it yourself.....it will only take a few hours and if you have a dremel then all you need to buy is a few cutting bits....

Old 11-09-2007, 08:13 AM
mmench
Captain

im from the eastern shore of maryland. rock hall is the town ... in kent county

Old 11-09-2007, 08:17 PM
tranyinstaller
Professional

the plenum is like a store house for air. each time that the engine opens a intake valve and draws in air it creates a vacuum. if your plenum is to small then its under constant vacuum and has to rellie on what comes through your throttle body to feed that intake stroke. so making a larger plenum is like increasing the atmosphere that the engine has to feed off of. and really any time you mod your intake or exhaust your not "adding" horsepower really, your freeing it. at least thats how i feel. also i have a die grinder ( kinda an air opperated dremel) and i bored out my tb to 55mm. it made a big differance in feel. but i know its only like 5-10 hp. nice thing is that its all the way accross the rpm range. not just bottom or top.
also what is the thickness of that spacer? when u get it installed let us know, i was kinda wondering about doing something simular but i was afraid of hitting the starter.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:36 PM
mmench
Captain

i think the thickness of the spacer is around 5/8 or maybe a hair larger. lol i work at a machine shop and dont even know how big lol. but anyway.. i ported out the whole manifold and polished it nicely. the inlet for the TB i ported out to 58.5 mm. i didnt go any larger because it was scary thin metal between the tb gasket area. i want to get the tb bored to 58mm but cant remember were to get it done so if anybody knows let me know plz. i probly wont get it on for a week or two because im in the middle of a turbo swap for the car and it half taken apart. i know switching to the atx tb felt like a nice gain for my car though so i bet the new spacer, and porting will really be nice.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:26 PM
tranyinstaller
Professional

i actually ported my own tb out to 55mm with a die grinder. it took quite some time since i used my old mtx tb instead of my atx tb. but i didnt want to ruin the nicer of the two in case i screwed it all up. luckilly it came out well and i noticed a pretty good differance even though i was already used to the atx tb. and if u run a search for tb's you'll find them.

Quick Reply: plenum spacer