1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

turbo-charging

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:25 PM
hatchetman2590
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo-charging

i think i know wat will happen but wat would happen to my engine if i were to just toss a turbo on a stock sohc?

Old 11-08-2007, 11:53 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: turbo-charging

1st off....its just a bit more difficult then "tossing" a turbo on the car......and there are a hell of alot of pieces that you will need to get other then a turbo...

if you run the boost at 8psi or less then nothing bad will happen as long as you keep an eye on your oil, do the regular maitnance, get the car tuned, and dont have a hell of alot of miles on the motor

Old 11-08-2007, 11:58 PM
hatchetman2590
Professional

well my buddy totaled his neon it had a turbo on it so i have all the parts my neon has 130k on the block and about 20k on everything else. and so if i were to put a turbo on there at 8 psi then my engine wont explode?

Old 11-09-2007, 12:07 AM
spudsterier
Legend

well as long as you also installed everything else that goes along with the turbo andget the car tuned, then you should have many problems.....though with 130k, you might wanna only run about 5-6psi..otherwise that motor probally wont be lasting long

Old 11-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

i think i know wat will happen but wat would happen to my engine if i were to just toss a turbo on a stock sohc?
Running any significant amount of boost/CFM without the proper sensors, fuel injectors and fuel management, it will run very lean and turn the spark plugs into plasma cutters. Pistons with holes look neat, but don't run so good. Ask me how I know.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Slashwannabe

Pre detonation is what casuses the Turbo to be leathal correct?

Suppose you were to use an additive such as Acetone which has a Octane rating of 150, when a few ounces are mixed Gas you can bump up octane to around 95-100. The good thing about Acetone is it casuses the Fuel to burn slower,coolerand more complete which eliminates the "Ping" in high compressionn Engines that are using Dog water as Fuel (110 Octaneand below) My brother has 13-1 Compression in his Camero 327, and the only way he can get rid of the ping is by mixing Acetone in with the gas to give him enough Octane, even 110 Race Fuel wasn't enough Octane!. and normally just for a bump in Octane and gas Mileage Neon's only require 2-3 ounces for a full tank of Gas, When you add in the Turbo it may need more. I got my best tank of Gas using Acetone for better fuel mileage and I heard it could work with Turbo's to get rid of "ping" the same way it works in High Compression Engines, all though I wouldn't recomend other peoplehanging theirhat totally on this miracle drug I'd still take other pre cautions just in case even though I know Acetone works great on High compression Engines, howeverI am unsure about how it works on Turbo cars but I plan to test it (doesn't mean I'm not stillgettiing my 255LPGFuel pump! but its worth a test eh?).

One of my brothers Friends was real crazy he would race everyone and he was just nuts! Well his Dad was even more crazy, heserved in Vietnam and when he came back he raced Snowmobiles, well he would always win and nobody ever could figure out how he could win with a 550 against a 800 each and every time they raced, Turns out he was using Agent Orange with his Fuel... I don't know how he got it but he was DQ'ed from racing for using Agent Orange.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

Pre detonation is what casuses the Turbo to be leathal correct?
Or running too lean, i.e. the fuel system is not capable of compensating for the gratly increased airflow. Running lean increases combustion chamber temperatures, to the point where it will melt stuff.

When I first upgraded the Turbo and PCM in my '87 Daytona shelby I had left the injectors and MAP stock. EGT's (probe was 2" from turbo outlet) hit over 1,600 degrees farenheit. Very bad. +40% injectors and a 3 bar map for a Typhoon/cycloneremedied this, but I had to change the pistons.
(It was a super 60 turbo running 26.5 PSI)

Old 11-09-2007, 01:13 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

Suppose you were to use an additive such as Acetone which has a Octane rating of 150
adding toluene, benzene or iso-octane is theONLY way to increase octanerating. leaded gas(tetra-ethyl lead) can also reduce thepossibility of ping, knock, detination but can cause lead fauling on your spark plugs and clinkers in engines not designes for TEL.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:36 PM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: Sixtysixdeuce
When I first upgraded the Turbo and PCM in my '87 Daytona shelby I had left the injectors and MAP stock.
Well we have to leave our PCM and MAP stock, but use a MAP clamp or missing link. We do however have to upgrade the injectors.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:03 PM
spudsterier
Legend

running too lean or too rich can not only cause things to melt, but you can bend the rods or easily spin a bearing as well.....
there are alot of thing to keep an eye on and be carful with when turbo charging a motor

Quick Reply: turbo-charging