Whats my 5 Speed Neon Worth ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 03:47 PM
p3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats my 5 Speed Neon Worth ?

Hello,
I have lots of **** to be replaced on this 2nd hand standard neon SOHC 97 highline, i got. And wanted to know the worth of it, and how much I could possibly sell it for.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_495930/mpag.../tm.htm#495930 is the car !!

Pic hmm
http://www.forums.sbclansite.com/ind...pic,107.0.html

Ok so i need to get these changed on it , to fix its whobbly issue or poor handling.

All 4 struts (they say they are leaking) - $1000 Cost
Wheel Alignment ($50)
Engine mount rubber ($70)
Front Outer Tier Rod ($110)
Already have changed the following on it.
Front axle ($300)
Both rear strut mounts ( $460)

Thats like investment on it already in repairs = 2K, bought the car for $4K , so thats like $6 K worth of neon, but i am sure you can get a new neon for way less.

So is it worth repairing my neon and get new struts and other fixes done ???? And how much i could sell it for after say 1 year after those fixes or better sell it in few months from now.

Its not a muscle car, nor a collectors editon, so dunno what to doooooo. Only good thing is it does not have other issuse other than the normal wear and tear mechanical parts. Even the error code comes as 55

Old 11-11-2007, 03:51 PM
fsu182
Captain
Default RE: Whats my 5 Speed Neon Worth ?

i got my front axle from autozone for $70. i replaced it in less than an hour and a half. so theres your first sign that ur getting ripped. i have very limited auto knowlege (but a haynes manual even does wonders but an axle isnt that hard. the allignment probably cant be skipped over, but you can get your car going again for way less than 2k.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:57 PM
p3
Rookie

Well i do not have any tools on me to fix or even touch the car, so how am i going to fix the car myself?

I was looking at these struts not sure why they made bill of 475 or was it 495 for just front 2 sets replacement.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:40 PM
fsu182
Captain

my local shop quoted me $570 for new shocks and installed on my blazer

i went out to autozone, picked up my shocks (all four monroe shocks) for $160, then had them do the installation for $20 per shock. the only reason i had it done is because they can torch them out if they're stuck in there (from the bushing wearing out where the shocks attach to the body) and it makes it way easier on an older car or truck.

so i saved $330 by getting my own parts. plus get different quotes if you can. i dont have tools either but i do have a friend with tools. so im lucky there.

just try to find parts, and get quotes on work done. it seems like a pain in the butt, but if you want to fix your car thats how to go if u dont have tools. of course this isnt alyways 100% right. sometimes ur local shop will be able to get cheaper parts, or salvage parts. but most shops around here actually order from advance auto parts/autozone then charge you over that cost to make a profit! when you could have just gone straight to their source.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Slashwannabe

If you use a pickle fork you can have both axels out in under 45 minutes. Putting the car on the jack and jack stands might take longer than doing them.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:52 PM
fsu182
Captain

lol. yeah most of my time spent was waiting for the rust eater to let my rotors come off the hub.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:52 PM
p3
Rookie

I suppose its time for me to order parts and lets see how it works out and go call another shop to have a checkup and see what they have to say.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:02 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

Shocks and springs good ones too. 344.55
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-G...spagenameZWDVW
Wheel Alignment ($50)
Engine mount rubber23.99
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...27&PTSet=A
Front Outer Tier Rod 31.99
http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...80&PTSet=A

so as you can see the price is for parts can be way cheaper.
450.53 compaired to 1230 now go to a shop and say hey if i have all these parts how much would you charge me to put them in.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:09 PM
unclemike
Veteran

First off. Buy a Haynes Manual from your local Autozone or PartsAmerica store and read thru it. Then if you decide to do your own work shop at a place like Harbor Freight for hand tools. They're not the best but then you won't have to depend on them to make a living.
As to your strut problem, I replaced all four struts with kits from Rockauto.com. The kits include the strut a new spring all the strut bearings and etc. preassembled. 4 nuts (3 nuts on the fronts) at the top and two bolts at the bottom and the new strus are in. The pricce for four strut kits and the eccentric bolts for the bottom was less than $700.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:38 PM
fsu182
Captain

quite honestly these cars are not terribly hard to work on at all. even with no knowlege - that haynes manual and some common sense can combine to accomplish most replacements/repairs with these cars. autozone can help you with the first part. the latter is up to you.

fyi - i have a friend that has literally no mechanical or problem solving skills. he knows this. so he leaves cars up to pros. auto repair is not just a matter of your safety, but everyone elses on the road or anywhere you put your car. if you wouldnt trust your life with it, then dont risk anyone elses. so common sense is a big factor. remember that and you should be fine.

Quick Reply: Whats my 5 Speed Neon Worth ?