1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

turbo neon? or buy a turbo car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:28 AM
pssssst
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo neon? or buy a turbo car?

ok, im just wanting to hear everybodys opinion and personal experiences here before i dump a lot of money into the neon.... now for those of you who have turbo'd you neon, does it really seem worth it? im debating on keeping my neon for just a daily driver and then buying a factory turbo car to have on the side, or just doing the 2.4 (non srt) swap and turboing it....i havefound a ton of turbo all wheel drive talons for about the same price as it would cost for my swap and turbo setup so the money isnt the main concern on the decision as to which would make more sense.... what would you guys do?

Old 11-17-2007, 02:01 AM
estneon
Record Breaker
Default RE: turbo neon? or buy a turbo car?

a new or usedturbocar would (should) cost $2000-$24,000....a 400+hp neon cost $10,000 but you could do less the 400hp and be very happy$10,000 would finish the neon...or you could put $1500 in and be very happy....the car was not ment for turbo but...you can upgrade for a turbo that will run 20psi so in the long run the neon is the way to go....a talon isnot that gooduntill you upgrade the turbo. a neon could run with a talon with a turbo so either way they would run about the same but the neon is a lot more fun to work on. i worked on a friends and i will never again....make sence....im tired sorry

Old 11-17-2007, 02:07 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

The turbo dsm's 1st gens were a killer car but at the same time like est said The work on them is horendous. I had a buddy that had one and the import shop couldent even figure it out or even get it running again after the puter went south. the 4g63t is a awsome motor but god why would you even want to work on it just pop the hood and look how much crap there is and who knows what it all does. I certanly wouldent have the time nor the patiance for it what so ever. I would however get one just due to me having a 4g63T god in town, that does work on them for free just becuase he loves them so much.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Slashwannabe

Sheesh you guys would have gotten me scared to turbo my Neon if I didn't allready do it.

Heres what you need to do, Buy the Ebay Turbo kit with the Garrett Turbo for $400 then buy a $100 Walbro or equivilent255LPH Fuel pump and rising rate fuel pressure regulator, $40Map clamp,$15 boost controller and boost gaugethen your ready to go. You'll have 215hp to uncork then. $600 will do it as long as you do everything yourself.

Mine was alot cheaper seeing as I got the turbo and other parts for less than $50 and payed a little extra for the Fuel pump and map clamp. Its actually not that bad of a job and that is coming from somebody who had to mod his own exhaust manifold for the turbo...lol

If you have all the parts I'd say 3-4 hourseverything can be hooked up. Half the time spent on projects is usually spentlooking for the right tools or parts.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:02 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally i would buy a factory turbo car......i put ALOT of money in my red r/t and regret almost every minuite of it.....
the money i spent could have easily bought a nice low miles srt4...
i dont want to make it sound like 17psi wasnt fun because it was awsome....but there is no reason for that much power in a daily driving neon.....

Old 11-17-2007, 12:37 PM
99 Neon
Veteran

Thats why i plan on running 8-10 psi when i turbo my neon. I want to have her for a long time and i wanna get my point across to other street tuners

Old 11-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Aerorat
All Star

ORIGINAL: pssssst

ok, im just wanting to hear everybodys opinion and personal experiences here before i dump a lot of money into the neon.... now for those of you who have turbo'd you neon, does it really seem worth it? im debating on keeping my neon for just a daily driver and then buying a factory turbo car to have on the side, or just doing the 2.4 (non srt) swap and turboing it....i havefound a ton of turbo all wheel drive talons for about the same price as it would cost for my swap and turbo setup so the money isnt the main concern on the decision as to which would make more sense.... what would you guys do?
And why not the srt 4 2.4L it is already built for turbos and it can handle 450 - 500 horsepower without breaking into the engine. The non turbo 2.4 is not built for a turbo and will not handle the power without building the engine itself

Old 11-18-2007, 01:33 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: Aerorat
And why not the srt 4 2.4L
The way you say that you act like theres a million wrecked SRT-4 Cars just waiting for the engine to be plucked. Theres not even1 2000+ Neon in any Junk yard where I live, maybe 2 but they are SOHC.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:56 AM
HabitatHxC
Captain

you dont find many wrecked srts in junk yards, but you can find them on ebay alllll day. Do the swap or buy a boosted car. Sure having a boosted 1st gen 2.0 would be groovy, but if your not into doin the work, Dont bother.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Aerorat
All Star

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: Aerorat
And why not the srt 4 2.4L
The way you say that you act like theres a million wrecked SRT-4 Cars just waiting for the engine to be plucked. Theres not even1 2000+ Neon in any Junk yard where I live, maybe 2 but they are SOHC.
You just have to know where to look and eBay is great place to and if see a seller listing a bunch srt 4 part ask them about a motor and/or tranny but before you do anything you better do research

Quick Reply: turbo neon? or buy a turbo car?