1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1997 sohc tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:32 PM
stevenb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 sohc tranny problem

I have had my neon for about 3 weeks, and only been able to drive it for 1. It has been in the shop for the past two weeks. When I bought it, the person negleticed to tell me that it had a rebuilt tranny, but thats beside the point. The tranny was not built correctly or something so i had to have it fixed. Now when i am driving, if i floor it, when it switches to (im thinking, but not shure) 2nd gear it, well i cant really describe it. Its like its stalling? maybe? Not sure how to describe it. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong?

Old 11-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1997 sohc tranny problem

When your going 0-40Mph and you floor it, it shifts into 1st gear, when your going 40-75mph and floor it,it shifts down into 2nd gear. When Your flooring it from a start it will shiftinto 2nd gear at58mph and it will shift into 3rd gear at 80mph.
, but you can safely keep it in 2nd gear up to 95 Mph.

My best advice is to adjust the forward band via a adjustablebolt with a nut that holds it in place that is located directly under your battery tray and located next to whereyour dip stick connects to the transmission. The way you adjust it is tighten it down all the way and back it out 3 completeturns and don't be off!

Also make sure 8 Quarts of transmission fluid 7176 (ATF+4) were added. ask your shop how much they put in but regaurdless of what they say make sure 8 quarts are present in that transmission. If none of these remedy the problem have your transmission looked at by the person who put it in and rebuilt the transmission as something they did while building it probably is to blame or your torque converter may be toast, but probably not since these are usually pretty tough. Normally I'd recomend changing the filter but your transmission is rebuilt so no need.

Quick Reply: 1997 sohc tranny problem