1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Neon Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:36 PM
johnneon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon Problems?

my car is a 96 sohc neon and i changed my water pump,timing belt...Ect and the car ran fine for about 10 mins than it stalled and now wont start back up,i thought maybe it was the timing belt so i removed the cover again and everything is ok??.i checked the fuses and they seem to be ok,i hear the gas pump and have pressur,so i dont think thats my trouble,i do have code 31 but have no idea what it means,,lol
If anyone can give me any info it would be appreciated...Thanks

Old 11-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Default RE: Neon Problems?

First of all, hey man, whats up. Haven't seen you for awhile. Second off all, code 31 is Evaporator purge flow monitor failure or evaporator solenoid circuit problem. Should not keep your car from running. Second of all, check your spark. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. Do you remember what problem I had and still am having? I did the head gasket, timing belt, and water pump only do have it die after about 10-15 minutes of run time. Has not run since last year.I even pulled the cover off again and checked timing just like you did. I am not getting spark. First, pull out a plug and ground it on the engine, have someone turn over the car to see if you are getting spark. If not, get yourself a GOOD test light. They have an actron over at advance for $12 bucks. It helped me figure out alot that I did not know. Second of all, pull off the coil pack plug, push the pin of the test light into the center (green orange) wire. Then put the clamp on the negative (-) battery post. Turn the key to the on position and it should light up for about the time the fuel pump stays on. Then, turn the car over and it should come back on. If that is good, move the test light to the outer two wires (black/grey, blue/tan) does not really matter which you do first. Then, with the clamp still on the negative terminal (I am about positive, however if you dont get anything try it on the positive terminal) and the light should blink as you turn it over. If not, that is the exact same problem I am having meaning you aren't getting any input from the computer. I have replaced the wiring harness, pcm (with a junkyard one), cam sensor, crank sensor, coil pack (for ****s and giggles), plugs, and even wires. That makes every single part in the entire circuit. SO, I am going back to the pcm on this one, I still need to buy one from spud. Sorry for the long read, hope this helps. Let me know if you get it going man!

Old 11-25-2007, 11:06 PM
johnneon
Captain

Thanks for the info Jr. Mechanic sorry to hear your having the same trouble..i tried the spark plug on the motor and i have no spark....so ill keep you posted,,if i dont scrap the car first,,,lol

Old 12-01-2007, 06:35 AM
ubiquitous_tom

wow! i've been searching the internet for 2 weeks now.. my 96 sohc neon does exact same thing as you guys.. and i did change all those stuff like you guys.. i did the head gasket and change the water pump and you know all that typical stuff that you have to do.. even got the new cam sensor since i broke the one that came with the car when i try to put it back on the car... the car usually die when i drive on the freeway around 18 miles point.. for a couple times.. after then 2 weeks ago it just quit all together.... the weird thing is.. if i drive on the regular road not freeway speed then nothing happens... anyway the car's dead now.. and i got no spark.. and i'm gonna try to check it again this sunday like how Jr. Mechanic how said..
well did you guy found out what happened? at first i thought it was pcm problem since my car died around 18 miles point all the time when i do freeway speed.. and now no spark.. at all.. the coil pack 's ok according to the hayne's manual.. i think.. i don't really know how to use the multimeter or whatever that thing's called and the only code i got from the readout box is something about misfiring.. which is true since the car die for no reason from no spark... well if you guys have any idea please let me know.. it just sit there and do nothing.. and i still have to replace the rear main seal also..since it's leaking but i wanna know if i can make the car work first or not..
i'm looking forward to any info at all about it
thank you again!

Quick Reply: Neon Problems?