1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

2 year Turbo plan.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 03:05 AM
Durnald_Toad
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 year Turbo plan.

This Feb."08 I am takeing my 2.0 SOCH in to be ported, balanced, blueprintedand all that jazz.
Then Feb '09 I plan on getting the Haun 2 Turbo kit from Modern Performance.

I have a new gaskets set w/ bolts, water pump and timing belt set back for the machine shop job.
I also have new pistons...
I am wondering what the best cam would be for this app. I saw some where that the RT cam was more agressive than any of the Cranes

Anyway if you have went turbo or know someone thats has fill free to drop a hint or two!

Old 11-25-2007, 06:26 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2 year Turbo plan.

correct me if im wrong but isnt the crane #12 mabe for SOHC turbo setups. Mainly just find something with as little valve overlap as possible

cool performance link
http://www.allpar.com/neon/performance.html

Old 11-25-2007, 10:18 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kinda pistons are you gonna use???

Old 05-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Durnald_Toad
Rookie

Well, I was going to use Sealed Power Hypotechnic ? pistons but, the dude at the machine shop said it was asking for disaster.

He also said I couldn't get my motor ready for a turbo for under 2 grand. He wanted to make pistons, camshafts, etc. from scratch.
Reinforce the H beams, heat treat the crank, bla bla bla... It was his way or the high way, I took the high way. So he charged me $200 to pull a motor out of my parts car, cutting hoses and wires...
Then, then hetook my parts car and had it crushed... I didn't get skwat @%$#% !

Anyway, now all I am doing is getting a cam and race header, figured I would turn my CAI in to a Ram Air.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:42 AM
JackMehoffer69

ORIGINAL: Durnald_Toad

Well, I was going to use Sealed Power Hypotechnic ? pistons but, the dude at the machine shop said it was asking for disaster.

He also said I couldn't get my motor ready for a turbo for under 2 grand. He wanted to make pistons, camshafts, etc. from scratch.
Tell him to fk off I wouldn't trust homemade pistons and cams. Keith Black and JE and Rosssell a good hyperutectic and forgedpiston, these companys have been in it for many many many years and make millions of pistons and I'm sure make more pistons in 5 minutes than this guy has made in his whole life. Theres many people around the world who do just great without his homemade pistons in turbo cars. Good thing you didn't fall for his Game.

My buddy slapped a 1989Plymouth Acclaim turbo on his Neon and is running around with that, it costed him like $30 for the turbo and he ended up buying a log style manifold for around $100 but he did make a homemade one that did well but he wanted a cooler looking log manifold with equal runnersinstead so he bought that off a local guy. I'm sure if you check ebay out you can get the manifold for around $100-$200 George Washingtons. And The turbo can be found at any junkyard and if you prefer even rebuilt for $70, way under that over priced Hahn crap. The fuel managment stuff he didn't put on his but if you wanted to you can get that for like $250 (rising rate fuel pressure regulator and bigger fuel pump).

For $2,000 you could have your motor built to withstand a turbo and have it turbo'ed now why would you spend $5,000? Just my opinion since I've actually seen a working application that was made for less than $200 so the $1000 you spend on making your bottum end strong and the other $1000 for performance goodies would bea great motor and be well worth it.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Durnald_Toad
Rookie

[size=4]*Update*[/size]

I have the Crane cam #14 and springs here with me!
I ordered the bottom end rebuild with 10.5:1 JE pistons from Modern preformance.
I'm waiting on my head to be ported and everything to be put together.

I can't wait. heee hee hee

Old 07-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Captansavaho
Captain

i think your gonna want lower compression than what you ordered...i think its 8.8:1 something like that

Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Durnald_Toad
Rookie

Yeah, if I wanted a turbo.... for now this is about all I'm doing.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Durnald_Toad
Rookie

I think 8.8:1 is stock size, not %100 on that but I think.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Captansavaho
Captain

no 9.3:1 is lowest but thats using a combo of sohc and dohc block pistons along those lines..
but what i was saying arent you going turbo so you would want a lower compression

Quick Reply: 2 year Turbo plan.