1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Turbo gastket

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbo gastket

Its not solely for with gaskets, Imade mytransmission pan gasket with the ****! and my turbo gasket out of it. It comes in spray and tube form, use the tube for filling ability. The Valve Cover Gaskets on the Neon in some kits are made out of Permatex As long as the surface you apply it to has no trace of oil your good to go! buy some break cleaner and spray your surface down to clean it from oil. $7 copper permatex tube vs $15 Gasket and you wont have to wait for shipping cuz every auto store sells it. Once it cures its very strong especially if sandwiched between a turbo and manifold its not blowing out anywhere. Give it 4-6 hours to cure and you should be good to go!. I used it on my home madethrottle body spacer to fill some holes up on my spacer thatI made from a old 2.0 Intake manifold and it is still sealing with 7psi of boost going past it.

The trick is get a glob of it on your finger and spread it around thick but uniform and your good to go. Only use the spray stuff on flat surfaces use the stuff in the tube for stuff that has imperfections in it.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:13 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

Its not solely for with gaskets, Imade mytransmission pan gasket with the ****! and my turbo gasket out of it. It comes in spray and tube form, use the tube for filling ability. The Valve Cover Gaskets on the Neon in some kits are made out of Permatex As long as the surface you apply it to has no trace of oil your good to go! buy some break cleaner and spray your surface down to clean it from oil. $7 copper permatex tube vs $15 Gasket and you wont have to wait for shipping cuz every auto store sells it. Once it cures its very strong especially if sandwiched between a turbo and manifold its not blowing out anywhere. Give it 4-6 hours to cure and you should be good to go!. I used it on my home madethrottle body spacer to fill some holes up on my spacer thatI made from a old 2.0 Intake manifold and it is still sealing with 7psi of boost going past it.

The trick is get a glob of it on your finger and spread it around thick but uniform and your good to go. Only use the spray stuff on flat surfaces use the stuff in the tube for stuff that has imperfections in it.
the correct way is to use as gasket. if you use large amounts then when you putthepart together the premitex will squeeze out the edges and get into the engine, not good. If used it sould only be a thin layer

Old 12-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: 12 volt

the correct way is to use as gasket. if you use large amounts then when you putthepart together the premitex will squeeze out the edges and get into the engine, not good. If used it sould only be a thin layer
Better to have more than you need than not enough. If You've done it a few times (like I have)you can anticipate where it will squeeze out.

On a Turbo Manifold how is it going to get into the Engine if it did squeeze out? if any small piece would fall off it would be blown out of the exhaust. The only time Permatex can f uck your engine up is if you clean olddried up permatexoff and it gets knocked into an oiling passage and cloggs causing it to starve the motor for oil and thats if your working inside of the rocker cover or with the engine on a stand while working in theoil pan area with engine tipped upside down, Otherwise if it enters the combustion chamber it will get burnt up and spit out.

Also if you apply a good coat without it flaring out as you put it on then LET IT DRY for at least 6 hours there is no way it is going to get into the engine, also what helps is not torquing the damn turbo down too tight and anticipating where its going to spread once you apply force to it, its not rocket science.

Those Gaskets aren't a cure all, both of my turbos had small pits on the mounting face from whatever reason and a correct turbo gasket would not fix that as it would still leak.

If Your turbo looks good and your not on a schedule then get the right Gasket, but $8 gasket plus $5 shipping is kinda steep.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:15 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:27 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

So i stopped at this turbo place outside of town. He said that he doubts i will find a gasket like that because you cant identify the turbo. Besides being a T3 and the universal ones wont work becuase the bolt pattern is weird. He said just set that gaskett i got in, and tighten it together and it will work fine. What you guys think about that? i think the guy was a tool box.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:30 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

Well you said it was a garrett right???

What numbers are on the turbo housing and I will try to find out witch turbo it acually is...

Old 12-18-2007, 09:38 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

crap, the turbo is up at the garage but i already tried to look it up. All it says on it is m26 m23 m2something, and .42. The guy at the turbo place said it had to way to identify it. I can look tomarrow and write it all down. Its over an hour away in edgewood iowa. thats where my garage is

Old 12-18-2007, 10:29 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

Better to have more than you need than not enough. If You've done it a few times (like I have)you can anticipate where it will squeeze out.

On a Turbo Manifold how is it going to get into the Engine if it did squeeze out? if any small piece would fall off it would be blown out of the exhaust. The only time Permatex can f uck your engine up is if you clean olddried up permatexoff and it gets knocked into an oiling passage and cloggs causing it to starve the motor for oil and thats if your working inside of the rocker cover or with the engine on a stand while working in theoil pan area with engine tipped upside down, Otherwise if it enters the combustion chamber it will get burnt up and spit out.

Also if you apply a good coat without it flaring out as you put it on then LET IT DRY for at least 6 hours there is no way it is going to get into the engine, also what helps is not torquing the damn turbo down too tight and anticipating where its going to spread once you apply force to it, its not rocket science.

Those Gaskets aren't a cure all, both of my turbos had small pits on the mounting face from whatever reason and a correct turbo gasket would not fix that as it would still leak.

If Your turbo looks good and your not on a schedule then get the right Gasket, but $8 gasket plus $5 shipping is kinda steep.
i was wrong on this. i have always been taught that useing gasket makers alone is very weak and a getto way of doing things. i still belive this, and personaly i only use it as a gasket dressing because of the possiblity of it ending up between rings and valve seats.

Herers the dirt
http://www.permatex.com/videos/video_gasketing_eng.html

Old 12-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Slashwannabe

i was wrong on this. i have always been taught that useing gasket makers alone is very weak and a getto way of doing things. i still belive this, and personaly i only use it as a gasket dressing because of the possiblity of it ending up between rings and valve seats.

Herers the dirt

The fact is alot of gaskets are made out of this stuff and you just have to be good enough to put it on, and it doesn't even take a good person to make it look good just common sense which we know alot of people lack. The Saturn DOHC Engine uses a valve cover gasket made out of a dried permatex bead and some kits on ebay for the Neon use this same permatex bead for the valve cover gasket. Where you are going to get into trouble is when you take stuff apart and use a knife or straight edge to peel the **** off and you don't clean up the mess and it gets lost somewhere inside of an oil passage but this is very unlikely if you use a shop towel or a paper towel when cleaning to protect those areas.

Now back to the Turbo GasketQuestion, Use a good amount of permatex slap it on let it cure and you saved yourself $8 and can have a piece of mind that once the permatex cures its not going to LEAK at ALL! This is probably the most safest thing you could use permatex on!.

So Lets Re-cap! Its the $7 Copper High Temp Permatex, slap it between your manifold and turbo and even on the wife or Girl friend and have some fun, then 6 hours later go kill some WRX's and Mustangs.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:19 AM
Slashwannabe

Herers the dirt
It wont get caught in the rings as it will pretty much selfdestruct and I doubt it would cling to valve seats especially if its dry asit will be blown out. The only thing I've seen happen with permatex is when somebody is cleaning off of a surface and they don't protect exposed oil passages. For the Turbo ManifoldApplication the high temp copper permatex is the clear winner : )

Quick Reply: Turbo gastket