1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

key won't come out

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:11 AM
jimustanguitar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key won't come out

i've got a 96 neon sport with a 2.0... its a plymouth. i bought it salvage and put airbags in it. anyway though, i've been having trouble with the ignition cylinder, probably related to the airbags deploying. when i'm done driving, i cannot get the key to turn back to the off position so that i can remove it. i noticed that there is a cable that is actuated by the shifter button that moves very slowly when i put the car in park. i've been putting the car in park and releasing the tilt wheel lock so that the cable is straighter and usually it releases the lock cylinder after a few moments, but its an annoyance to say the least. besides the obvious safety hazard of being able to remove the key when the vehicle is in gear, is there any other good reason that i shouldn't just disconnect this cable at one of its ends?? thanks for the input.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:23 AM
stodd4
Default RE: key won't come out

If your tranny is an automatic you may have an issue with the shifter being all the way into park. Try pushing the shifter forward as you turn the key. I have three 96 Neons with automatic transmissions and two of them do this.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:43 AM
jimustanguitar
Default RE: key won't come out

i do make sure that they are in park all the way, i jsut think that the cable is gummed up. has anyone tried relubing one of these?