1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

would something break if...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 PM
justinsanders
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would something break if...

i was just wondering if something would break if you revved your engine to about 6,000 rpms then popped the clutch. so basically the same concept of a neutral drop just with a manual. my friend did this to his truck and broke a u joint. but since we dont have u joints what would be the first thing to break and how easy is it to break it.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:35 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Default RE: would something break if...

of coarse things can brake but then again things can brake under normall use... it all depends on how many miles are on the car. you could do a number of things but normally a neon will just wheel hop around with the rpms that high unless you have mm inserts and or a solid bobble sturt. I have mm inserts and a normall bobble strut ment for the dohc put on my sohc and the motor is solid doesent move a millimeter. I rev it that high let go and the tires just spin like hell...

Old 01-02-2008, 03:38 AM
Slashwannabe

Last Summer when I was trying to blow my transmission I dropped it into drive at 5800 Rpm and did a pretty good burn out but that was with my automatic.

I think the engine can handle it briefly but you might rip first gear apart and shatter something inside the transmission, I know the Chevrolet saginaw manual transmissions broke very easily with a 6000Rpm drop but I'm not sure of the Neon manuals strength. The old Chrysler 2.2 manual transmissions were pretty tough they took 6,500 Rpm drops all the time and pretty much the only problem with thosewas the clutch fork and cable mechinism. I'd recomend weldingsome supports into the clutch forkif you get the chance, cuz they like to bend and even break sometimes.

I used to beat the **** out of my brothers old chrysler lazer 2.2 turbo manual, and it did clutch drops at 6500 Rpm like nothing, pretty much the problems I've heard of with those transmissions was the syncros getting fkd up while bang shifting, but were otherwise pretty strong. The car was going to the junk yard so I gave it a huge stress test and It almost didn't deserve to go to the junkyardif it had floor pans and a frame left. I'm not sure how much if any of the Neon transmission is based off of the old 2.2 trans. I know it has the same bellhousing patern as the Neon 2.2does with the exception of the starter being on the back of the engine.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Why do it at all really?! Cars really are not meant to be "driven this way." Differential pin failure is one result dropping the clutch at high rpms, ultimately destroying your transmission. Here is what you can expect:

Name:  Image003.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  Image002.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  Image004.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  54.3 KB

You will also accelerate the wearing on you clutch, and the added stress will wear out axles as well.

The 84-86 5speed transmissions also suffer 3rd gear failure, due to a relatively thin bearing plate that is really not too strong. There is a thicker plate available for about $100 shipped, but an independent on td.com.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

transmission can break, axels can break, motor mounts can break...

people sumtimes seem to think that wheel hop wont hurt anything.....but it can actually do alot of damage

Old 01-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

I would not do it. Its your car though, so hell, do whatever you want.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:39 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

nothing will break. its totaly normal. post pics.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:46 PM
spudsterier
Legend

the highest rpm i usually drop the clutch at is about 4k.....unless im putting on a really good smoke show...then i might do about 5500-6000.....but i also have tons and tons of extra parts

Old 01-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Slashwannabe

The things I'd be worried about breaking in a car I drive everyday while doing a 6500Rpm dropwould be the Axles,Differential pin, ANYTHING INSIDE OF THE TRANSMISSION!!!! Thrown PistonRod(s) and mounts if they are not secured with inserts or if they are attached to a rusty frame. I don't think mounts are as much a problem if you have a solid car that isn't rusting away and the prothaneinserts to absorb some of the negative impact that distorts the mounts.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:22 AM
das2123
Legend

I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Quick Reply: would something break if...