1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

kinda got a problem with high idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:05 PM
justinsanders
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kinda got a problem with high idle

first off i have the atx tb on. and ever since i put that on it idles at about 1000 rpms which isnt so bad. but when i get going then put it in neutral or push the clutch in it starts to idle at 1250 until i make a complete stop. then it returns to 1000. also when its cold out it idles at about 1250 when i stopped. im not too worried about it because i have no other problems with it.

also when i start it up for the first time on a cold day it makes a really weird sound. it sounds like im low on power steering fluid but its much louder than that. after i back out of the driveway then get going down the neighborhood road then it stops.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: kinda got a problem with high idle

ORIGINAL: justinsanders

first off i have the atx tb on. and ever since i put that on it idles at about 1000 rpms which isnt so bad. but when i get going then put it in neutral or push the clutch in it starts to idle at 1250 until i make a complete stop. then it returns to 1000. also when its cold out it idles at about 1250 when i stopped. im not too worried about it because i have no other problems with it.
since this only happened since the throttle body swap, i will rule out the battery charge factor....so i would lean towards a vaccum line being disconnected, or the throttle body gasket is leaking sumwhere...

also when i start it up for the first time on a cold day it makes a really weird sound. it sounds like im low on power steering fluid but its much louder than that. after i back out of the driveway then get going down the neighborhood road then it stops.
it is the powersteering pump, but they all do that when its cold.....once the fluid warms up, the sound goes away

Old 01-06-2008, 12:52 AM
justinsanders
Captain

i didnt put a new gasket on when i did the swap. i didnt even know that there was one.

and it could be the power steering pump but the sound goes away very quickly

Old 01-06-2008, 01:14 AM
estneon
Record Breaker

go get a gasket...i left the new gasket for my 60mmtb off and got a little bit of dirt in my manifold i got most of it out but i felt stupid and had toput on the gasket when istarted the turbo projectbut the 60mm from modern is bigger so it overlapsed a bit so dirt could get in it i don't know about stock ones though

Old 01-06-2008, 09:19 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a rubber O-ring that sits in a groove around the intake manifold right under the throttle body.....
once you take out the 2-13mm bolts, pull the throttle body off and look in the grove...if there is no gasket (o-ring) then thats probally your problem

Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 PM
justinsanders
Captain

o ok well i didnt mess with that. so there must be one there from the factory

Quick Reply: kinda got a problem with high idle