1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

tranny slippin in 3rd....?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:12 AM
954drneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny slippin in 3rd....?

fixed the short in the wire on the lockup solenoid.......but when it shifts from 1st to 2nd its fine but it just keeps reving higher as i go faster and wont go into third for a while....then it will rev like its in neutral and then go into 3rd.... doesnt seem to be 3rd or 5th.....?

why is it doing this......

thanks

Old 01-19-2008, 10:01 AM
954drneon
Default RE: tranny slippin in 3rd....?

well i when i start off driving in first its fine and it shifts to 2nd gear alittle rough......but it stays in 2nd and wont go into 3rd gear.......

i have to shift it into neutral and then back into drive and then it shifts to 3rd.......at 45mph its at 2200 rpms.....is that normal?

it seems that there is only 4 gears in this tranny not five....cause 1st and 2nd and then it goes to 3rd ....and once i am up to about 55, and let off the throttle a little bit it will come back down to about 2200 from 2400......

how can i fix this....? please help....thanks

Old 01-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Um, hate to tell you this, but there are only 3 gears in your transmission...

Old 01-19-2008, 04:11 PM
954drneon

so a 5spd has 5 gears and a AT has 3? weird......why is third slipping then....?

just need some help on this.....thanks

Old 01-19-2008, 05:20 PM
tranyinstaller
Professional

its a three speed with lockup actually.
your problem may just be with the tv. no not the one you spend hours staring at, you throttle valve. you probably need to adjust it. goto your throttle body and look at the pullies on their. there should be two cables coming off of it. one goes to the firewall the other to your transaxle. the one to your trans axle is the on you want. loosen the adjustors and hold the throttle pully into full throttle position. make sure that when its in full throttle you have the t.v. cable at max extension. tighten down the adjustors and drive it. if it still seems to shift wierd try playing with that adjustment a bit. if that doesnt seem to help then you should try adjusting the 2-3 shift band. the locknut needs to be loosend and then the center bolt tightend all the way. then back off the center bolt (i think) 2 turns. drive it again and see if any of this helps but do it one step at a time so you know what fixed the problem. if nothing changes then you may be having an internal trans issue. in which case you would want to drop your pan and inspect it to see if the fluid is holding metal or clutch material. oh yah and dont forget to check the fluid level befor hand. check it in neutral with the e-brake on, not in park.
hope this helps!

Quick Reply: tranny slippin in 3rd....?