1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

What should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:07 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should i do?

Mom agreed to get me a loan for about $1500. Or she said i can get a car loan for a new car up to 5,000. The neon is giving me problems and i dont just want to fix them. If i am going to change out a few things i decided just to rebuild the entire engine. But whats happens when i rebuild it then blow it up with boost? I am out. A kid with a 99 z24 cavi said if i give him my car ($2000) which is the 4dr turbo sohc neon and take over a 4000 loan. He put like 8000 into the car. Should i not lose faith in the neon and just rebuild the engine in my 2dr (which has a nice body) and put my turbo on that? I geuss my question is should I stick with the neon? I can buy a okay car to drive until the neon is done and re-sell the okay car. Is it worth it or should i let the neons go?

Old 02-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Default RE: What should i do?

I would say rebuild your engine or get a new neon. If you build the motor right, use quality pistons and rods (JE and Eagle, HINT HINT), you wont have any problems.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:36 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favorite part of owning a neon is they have cheap and plentiful parts. I'd stick with the neon, but hey it's all up to you.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:24 AM
AJay
Veteran

u do what u want but id build the motor up....and keep the neon....

Old 02-21-2008, 10:40 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: das2123

My favorite part of owning a neon is they have cheap and plentiful parts. I'd stick with the neon, but hey it's all up to you.
Yea true but it seems like the parts break faster on them. I went through 7 wheel bearings in about a year. 3 fuel pumps. 1 clutch about to be 2 because of a throw out bearing. all new suspension. motor mounts, outputshaft seals, cam seals, timing belt, sending unit, oil pan, brakes only once all the way around. That was all done at a shop. And now the engine is sound a little hard. I am afraid of taking it past 4.5k. What happens if it runs lean or something because a fuel line shoots off or something stupid. I bet it would happen to me. But i have decided to buy a 5 speed satrun for $300 to drive for now i am getting it tomarrow. I am either buying a built engine with je pistons or i am just going to rebuild mine stock with a thicker head gasket. But i am junking the 4door body. Thing is the devil. Gives me more problems then anything i ever owned. I got so much stuck into it now. Theres no turning back.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:51 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Well i put the neon at the garage today i got a 96 5 speeds saturn with a double salvage for $300. From family. He just put in a new clutch, tranny an engine. Well used but with low miles. New clutch. I just couldent let the neon go. So the next 2 months will be plenty of work.