1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Shifter problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008 | 11:57 PM
D1LL0N
Default Shifter problem

I have a 1998 Neon with a auto. It would not shift into gear. I took the center console out and could push the little shifter pin down to get it out of park. I took the shifter off and noticed the little plastic piece with the ball bearing type piece was broken. Can anyone tell me the part number for this and if this is my only problem? I took a few pictures to show my problem. I also can start the car with anything. Any type of key or really anything that will fit in the ignition switch will turn it fine.thank you

Name:  147eb86a.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  5c501afb.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  68.6 KB

Old 02-21-2008 | 08:39 AM
das2123
Legend
Default RE: Shifter problem

I don't have a part number and doubt the dealer will sell you just the "part" you need. They most likely will be "happy" to sell you a new shifter though. Try a junkyard or ask on these boards for a used one.

Old 02-21-2008 | 10:48 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I got one.... Or 3. Pay me s/h.

Old 02-22-2008 | 10:10 PM
D1LL0N

You have the whole sfiter assembly or just the insides of the shaft? I am interested. I live in Hawai'i so just get me a shipping quote. Thanks a bunch

Old 02-23-2008 | 06:26 AM
Slashwannabe

Just before my oldtransmission went out5 months ago I couldn't shift it into any of the gears, allthough I didn't give a **** after being so pissed that I gave the shifter one hell of a shove and it went into park then. Believe it or not the kickdown adjusting band was clamped down and wouldn't return so I stuck a screw driver in and returned the band to normal position and re adjusted the kickdownadjuster to normal specs and I was able to shift again and go into park.

I would try dinking around under the hood before you waste time with the shifter, the shifter should outlast the car socheck the tranny kick down and all the cables.

At a minimum try to move your transmission shifterlever into all the gears(park included) do itby hand on the transmission and if you have to... remove the kick down and shiftercable from it so you know that isn't restricting it from moving, its a real simple process. This way you can rule out if the problem is in the shifter or tranny.

Old 02-26-2008 | 06:59 PM
D1LL0N

Can anyone scan or post a already scanned image on how to adjust the kickdown adjuster? I do not have a FSM for this vehicle. thanks

Old 02-27-2008 | 08:25 AM
das2123
Legend

The kickdown band adjustment screw and locknut is located at the top left side of your transmission. Remove the battery and the tray, then detach the fuse box and move it out of the way. Loosen the locknut(the smaller nut, the first nut) about five turns until the adjusting screw turns freely. Then tighten the adjusting screw to (95 ATX) 72 in-lbs, then back off 2 and a half turns or (96 and higher ATX) 72 in-lbs, then back off 2 and a quarter turns. While holding the screw in place, tighten the locknut to 35 ft-lbs. That takes care of your kickdown band!

Quick Reply: Shifter problem