1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

DOHC VS SOHC Wheel Horse Power.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOHC VS SOHC Wheel Horse Power.

http://www.allpar.com/neon/images/barryrun.gif(barryrun.gif shows the gain with the under drive pulley )

A Stock DOHC Engine with only upgrade beinga Under Drive Pully made 117hp Wheel Horse Power.

A Stock SOHC Engine with ATXmakes 110-112hp to the Wheels depending on who you want to believein stock form without any mods. If the SOHC really did make 132hp vs the DOHC 150hp why are they within 7 wheelHP on the Dyno? And the DOHC even isusing aMTX and using a OverDrive pully making 117hp to the Wheels.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_455463/tm.htmThe guy who posted this thread copied it from the Article i was trying to find on the SOHC stock Wheel HorsePower.

I'm not tryin to pit the DOHC vs SOHC directlybut will somebody finally admit after these numbers that the SOHC was underrated from the factory so that it would not take away from the DOHC as a engine choice? I have heard this from a Chrysler Engineer at a car show a year ago and also read it online somewhere but could never find it.

There will always be some skeptics out there but I believe I have found the smoking gun. How does 18 Horse Power just evaporate from the DOHCs lead over the SOHC? It doesn't the DOHC I Believe really makes 150hp but I believe the SOHC is closer than the 132Hp would suggest.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:07 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Default RE: DOHC VS SOHC Wheel Horse Power.

your right slash you really are.... The rpm power band is where the difference is... you will notice it dramaticly when you get your dohc car... unless its an auto... it lacks where the sohc is strong down low but you get up in the rpms and they just go...

but you are right....

Old 02-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Slashwannabe

I test drove the dohc about an hour ago, I'm gonna get it tomarrow cuz the guy didn't have the title with him so we decided to wait till the title shows up, but I did get a chance to beat the **** out of the DOHC and it has alot of snot at around 5,000 Rpm+ it is a 5 speed and I gota say the gearing is pretty fkn snappy, but I think my sohcwithout the turbopunches better in the 3500-5500 Rpm range, but the 5 speed is more consistant off the line due to gearing probably but she does got some highend pull I'll give it that, it doesn't waste any time getting up to 100 mph, it seems to always pull. The motor runs great only has 83,000 mileson it, the clutch was replaced 1500 miles ago and I love the lowend gearing compared to the Automaticit really can roach the tires.

I always wondered what a 5 speed Neon could do and I really love the feel it gives the car and it alwaysseems to bein the powerband. I gota say most of the DOHC's I've raced must have been afraid or just slow shifters cuz I really got that car to dance today no problem. I just hope I don't break off 1st gear cuz I love flooring it and breaking the tires loose, sooo adicting!.

But I think the gearing has alot to do with the snot the car has, I drove a DOHC Automatic and it was worse than my SOHC with the bad automatic even but the 5 speed is a plus!. I think both the SOHC and DOHC are held back with gearing unless they have the 5 speed or a turbo automatic.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:54 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

there fun arnt they... lol

Old 02-22-2008, 08:29 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have posted this dyno before..
[IMG]local://upfiles/33897/1B02F386176A4855B6FF446AD5983421.jpg[/IMG]

The lines have been smoothed out, but it's the only stock vs stock dyno I have ever seen. Yes, the DOHC was overrated from the factory, but at the track where it counts....the DOHC is still quicker and does have a bit more potential.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: das2123

the DOHC is still quicker and does have a bit more potential.

Tis why God invented Turbos and why I have one

I guess I just wanted to prove all these years that the Auto Zone freaks who hang out in the parking lot with their Civic friends who tell me the DOHC is so great on every level and promise me and the rest of the Neon crew who come to get parts that the DOHC is the end all be all of Neon performance. Before I waste my time pulling a motor for a 2 wheel horsepower gain I'll use my time to put a home brew turbo on. I guess I'd rather live with the fact my motor lacks 2 wheel horse power than be a dumb *** who swaps even up for a DOHC engine. I guess I don't agree with people thinking these motors are so different from eachother in stock form when they make almost the same power.

I feel sorry for the people who took the Auto Zone ***s advice and bought a DOHC motor for $500 and a wasted a night throwing it in only to find the car feels the same and still runs 16s. I'd rather spend $500 onebays most cheapest madeturbo kit (which is still pretty good!).

After all its alot more fun to race against cars that aren't made by Chrysler Corp. Lacking 2 wheel hp isn't going to make that much difference racing against a Cavalier with 118hp or a Civic with 108hp.

And if your serious about racing cars 2-3x the value of the Neon then I suspect you'll need more than the 2whp gain the DOHC can provide so you mine as well caulk up some serious mods instead of pointless engine swapping.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:19 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: das2123
the DOHC is still quicker and does have a bit more potential.

Tis why God invented Turbos and why I have one
I am pretty sure Louis Schwitzer invented the turbo.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:58 AM
mmench
Captain

i got my SOHC neon to a 16 flat with just a iceman intake on it ( before the motor got built) and a seriously bad torque converter. and i got my 5spd R/t to a 15.6 with the clutch smokin in second and almost all but gone in third(oil from cam sensor spraying all over clutch)... plus it shut off on me if i went over 5k rpms.(injector problem )

Old 02-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Mod a sohc and a dohc the same, and the dohc comes out on top EVERYTIME. Sure, your sohc can be faster than most dohc's, but not all, or mine Gearing is a factor to be sure. The 03 r/t trans on my dohc now plays a large part in why my car moves the way it does. 5th gear pull like mad. Well engough to run some light-med modded turbo cars from a roll. Dohc do it easier, as it starts with more from the start.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:00 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

Slash you should have seen it last night.... I'm one of those AutoZone freaks.... I sware to you last night was awsome...

We had 3 1st gens lined up then a second gen then a pregnant neon (pt cruzer) an srt-4 a srt-8 charger 3 mustangs 4 cavilers 2 dodge trucks a ford truck a svt focusand a GMC.... NO OTHER CARS... ALL DOMESTIC... I should have got a pic but my cell phone wouldent have been able to get a good shot...

Quick Reply: DOHC VS SOHC Wheel Horse Power.