1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1999 DOHC in to 1995 SOHC

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 PM
PurSid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 DOHC in to 1995 SOHC

Ok, about a year ago I got a 1995 SOHC Highline for really cheap.
I fixed the 100's of misc. issues and the car runs great, daily driver.
I just got a 1999 DOHC Sport with power everything, but it is wrecked in the front. Minor structural damage that has the left front wheel bent in at the top and the suspension support in the unibody bent, I have no plans to fix the 1999, but the engine and interior + doors and everything are in great shape.
I already plan on swaping the doors, and interior so I can get the power windows (front only) and power locks and mirrors. Did I mention these are both black?
Both, unfortunatly they both have the automatic transmission.

My question is this.
If you had a full gargage with all the tools needed to do just about anything, what would the 1995 end up with for a power plant? Full engine and PCM swap from the 1999 DOHC, just a head and PCM swap, or just leave it alone and sell off the DOCH engine with the PCM?

I don't plan on racing this car, it will always be a daily driver, but I really like working on my cars, and if I can gain a few horse by swaping out the engines then I would do it to just do it.

Thanks in advanced, this forum seems to be full of great Neon junkies!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:50 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker
Default RE: 1999 DOHC in to 1995 SOHC

the wiring harness is diffrent, themain thingon that is the connections to the PCM. i think tha 95 has one big connector and the 99 has two small ones. The engine will swap right in, its just the wiring that you might have a pain with.

the power windows are not fun to install. much better off sawping the whole door.

oohhh yeah [sm=welcomesign.gif]to DF

youll get more hits if you post in the first gen section

Old 03-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

You will need to extend the wiring for your coolant sensor, to where it mounts on a dohc intake manifold. I have a 95 dohc intake manifold if you want it. Would help ease some of the wiring fun you have ahead. Be prepared for splicing and soldering, but it is worth it.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:25 AM
Slashwannabe

Swap the DOHC transmission with your SOHC will be way quicker than adding the DOHC!

Putting the DOHCwith aSOHC transmission will make it feel slower than the SOHC. The DOHC transmission has a lower final drive gear ratio to help the pooch DOHC off the line.

They are pretty much the same transmissions but with differentfinal drive gear ratios. believe me the SOHC wont disapoint you using the DOHC transmission!.

Also the DOHC has only a 2-3 wheel horsepower advantage against the SOHC, keep in mind that the test where the DOHC had 3 more hp the DOHC was a Manual transand the SOHC was a Automatic.The SOHC has a fatter power band than the DOHC doesso using the DOHC gears will actually do the SOHC justice.

You'll feel like an idiot if you swap the DOHC into a car with SOHC gears the motor will be a puss, use the DOHC gears with the SOHC and you have great success!.

Quick Reply: 1999 DOHC in to 1995 SOHC