1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Anybody have a Car Fax account?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 05:43 AM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have a Car Fax account?

A few months back whenI replaced my Speedometer cluster I noticed my cluster had junkyard writing on it saying it was from a 1996 Neon. I got to thinking about what might have happened in the cars lifetime and how many owners its had. I would like to know the cars history but I do not have a Car Fax account and I was wondering if somebody with an unlimited lookup account could do me a huge favor and look up my Vin# for me.

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Spawne32
Professional
Default RE: Anybody have a Car Fax account?

same here, im trying to figure out what my mileage is on my car :rofl:

Old 03-06-2008, 11:27 PM
unclemike
Veteran

Don't know if Carfax is all that. My 1998 Plymouth Neon Espresso had a clean report ... and sanding marks under the paint on the passenger's side front door.
Considering that most people here are going to upgrade anything and everything they can on their Neons, does it really matter?
Are the seats worn? Are the pedals worn? How's the carpet? Do the tires wear evenly? Does the engine smoke? How's oil consumption?
We have an 1987 Dodge Diplomat and a 1988 Ford Taurus wagon both with over 200k that still run well.
Some times in life you don't get to know all the answers so don't sweat the small stuff.
However, if it is a concern why not get together with a group and split the cost of a three month membership.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:18 AM
Slashwannabe

I just want to find out previous owners and ask them if the Motor is original and Miles original cuz My motor is strong as fk and for it to run this good at the mileage its at compared to other Neons I think its quite impressive and I'd like confirmation.

As I said before my cluster said it was from a 1996 Neon and whenI did my transmission the Torque Converter had yellow chalk marker on it saying what it was from.

In all reality your right the past means nothing if the car runs great now, but I'm a nerd that way I like to know the History just for fun.

I suppose these newer cars arent like the old days where you can say I've got a matching numbers motor? I just want to know if the motor is original.

I've had alot of good luck with mopars, my parents have3 vansa 1975 Custom Van that was featured in a 1980s Van Magazine that I have no clue on the Mileage but it runs good, thentheres the 1984 van with the 360 thathas 275,000 on it (actually its my van now...lol) and runs like brand new and then theres my Parents "new van" a 1992with a318 that has 335,000 miles on it and still starts on the first 10th of a second.Also have had many other mopars that don't die.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:21 AM
pimpberetta
Veteran

In regards to the milage, the pcm does not keep the milage in its memory. Some cars do though. A buddy of mine has a 91 300 zx N/A and his cluster was reading 135 ish k and he started pushing 150 - 200 shots of nitrous and his car ripped. It hauled like a raped ape and ran amazing of the bottle, not even a small tick. Well it got stolen and when it was recovered, the pcm showed the car had over 300,000 miles on the engine!
Point being, if the pcm doesn't write down milage theres no way of telling. I mean how easy is it swap out the cluster with another on our neons, or even the odometer part itself.

Unless the car goes in for a safety every year, the milage can keep on adding up and only the owner of the car will know what it really is, if it hasn't already been messed with. Maybe its different in the U.S., but in Canada, it is very easy to mess with the milage on alot of cars. And yeah, you can do some of your own investigations like you've stated, junkyards will write something on everything they sell which shows its not original to the car and something has been altered. Which for us neon owners, is probably our best bet to find some truth on what our car has really been through in its life.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:33 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: pimpberetta

In regards to the milage, the pcm does not keep the milage in its memory. Some cars do though. A buddy of mine has a 91 300 zx N/A and his cluster was reading 135 ish k and he started pushing 150 - 200 shots of nitrous and his car ripped. It hauled like a raped ape and ran amazing of the bottle, not even a small tick. Well it got stolen and when it was recovered, the pcm showed the car had over 300,000 miles on the engine!
Point being, if the pcm doesn't write down milage theres no way of telling. I mean how easy is it swap out the cluster with another on our neons, or even the odometer part itself.

Unless the car goes in for a safety every year, the milage can keep on adding up and only the owner of the car will know what it really is, if it hasn't already been messed with. Maybe its different in the U.S., but in Canada, it is very easy to mess with the milage on alot of cars. And yeah, you can do some of your own investigations like you've stated, junkyards will write something on everything they sell which shows its not original to the car and something has been altered. Which for us neon owners, is probably our best bet to find some truth on what our car has really been through in its life.
Its real easy to change the mileage, My newcluster with the Tach I pulled out of the junkyardcame out of a Neon with I **** you not 418,000 Miles. Basically I took both Clusters totally apart and once its apart its only 2 screw to take out the mileage counter. I swapped that mileage counter with mine so I'd have correct Mileage, I just hope the people who changed my cluster before I had the car swapped the original mileage counter. Even if it doesn't make much difference I'd like to know how many miles the car has been just for me to know.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:56 PM
vlmuke
Professional

I can understand your concern but car fax isn't the know all tell all if any repair work was done at a small shop they usually don't show up on car fax, the other thing you can do is do what I did I have a local small dealer that I buy cars from I called and asked they ran the car fax on my neon didn't show anything as my odometer said 99K and the title said 137K so I really have no clue to how many miles are on my neon but you might try that route you never know until you ask

Old 03-07-2008, 11:35 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when we bought our 06 Sebring, we got a carfax with it showing that i was never in an accident and so on and so forth (only had 18k on it), well it turns out that it was in an accident and the person before just took it to a small repair shop and now i'm stuck with a rusting trunklid on a car with only 41k on the odometer...

Old 03-08-2008, 02:28 AM
Slashwannabe

I would just like to take a look at the Carfax records for my car seeing it said there were 11 reports on it. The only accident the car has been in was when I hit the Deer so I know the frame and everything is good and the deer only wrecked the hood. But I just want to know if the mileage on Car Fax jives with my mileage on the car. So far the mileage from the previous owner was 20,000 miles less than I had it when I titled it and that was believable. I just might ask the previous owner what they all had done to the car and see if it was them who made the changes I've noticed. Thats cheaper than $24-$29

I don't really care either way cuz I love my Neon no matter what, I just am interested in its story and it could give me some insight on what was changed so I can gauge certain things like head gasket,water pump ect...

Judging from the way the timing Belt and water pump are the motor has to have at least 100,000 Miles on it.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:45 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

not all the reports on carfax are accidents. each time the car is registered counts as one report. so if the car is 7 years old, then it could have7 reports. one for each year it was registered. each time the car is sold and retitled counts as another report.

here is a sample of a report from a local dealer. theres 7 reports on it and they claim its a one owner vehicle, even though it was clearly a fleet vehicle and sold at auction a few times. now the dealer is selling it. so it has changed hands a few times, but only titled by one company previously. probably a rental car.

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_Displa...HB48B67D428346

Quick Reply: Anybody have a Car Fax account?