1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

underdrive pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 AM
naturallyaspirated
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default underdrive pulley

does have have or know where to get detailed instructions for installing an underdrive pulley. any and all help is would greatly apreciated. and are they worth it?

Old 03-07-2008, 01:33 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional
Default RE: underdrive pulley

1- take off your right side(passenger) wheel

2- loosen the center bolt from the pull but dont remove it, you'll need to use it to use the puller

3- use a 3 jaw puller (make sure its a quality one, my pulley was so tight i bent the puller i got from autozone, i ended up having to use 3 diff pullers to get it off, the center bolt and triangle mount from a large 3 jaw puller, and 3 of the jaws off of 2 separate large 2 jaw pullers, all pullers were from autozone) if you feel behind the inside off your stock pulley, you'll feel three notches, one in each cutout, that is where to position the jaws, after that follow the pullers directions until you have your pulley off.

4- you'll have to heat your underdrive pulley to get it on, you can use a torch to heat the center, or throw it in the oven at 350-450 for 10-15 mins. once its hot put it on immediately and tighten the center bolt back to stock torque settins, let the pulley cool, install the new belts and adjust them and thats it

as far as a diff, if you only plan on doing the underdrive puller, its not worth it by itself, however if you plan on opening it up a little(intake, throttle body, header/exhaust) then yes its worth it. Try to get the lightest one you can if you go through with it

this is a pic of mine installed on my 96 sohc 5 speed, it is an unorthodox racing "race only" pulley, it powers only the alternator, its no longer soldi got lucky enough that they had one lying around with a nic in it, got it balanced and threw it on, they make the best underdrive pulley out there, underdrives both the alt and ps/ac, dont worry about it not charging the battery enough, unless you have an extremely powerful system in your car, you'll never notice the diff

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...9/IMG00066.jpg

Old 03-07-2008, 03:36 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

oh and if your married ask to put it in the oven first... trust me...

Old 03-07-2008, 04:37 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

haha thats why i love my chick so much, i told her i had to torch it and she said "why not just put it in the oven?"

ya, it wont really do anything to your oven, but either way your significant other probably doesnt know that

Old 03-07-2008, 05:28 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

use the oven certain udp dont like to be torched... and when you put it on dont push it all the way on... get it on about half way then put the crank bolt back in and crank it on... you can put it on to far... then your belts wont line up...

Old 03-07-2008, 09:24 PM
vlmuke
Professional

This question just came to me about my Megan UD pulley Does it need to be balaced? I haven't installed it yet so I can if I need to I just figured I could just put it on any thoughts

Old 03-08-2008, 06:21 AM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

you can just put it on if youd like, because of the relatively light weight and small diameter of most underdrive pulleys, youd never notice a diff

however, its always best to have all rotating parts balanced as perfectly as possibly for the smoothest operation and most performance gains

i balanced my race only (1.4 pound alt only) Unorthodox racing pulley, i didnt balance my standard Unorthodox racing pully (1.92 pounds alt/ac/ps) race pulley went on a 96 regular on a 97, i didnt notice a vibration diff between the 2, but im sure its there, just not enough to really measure by feel

Quick Reply: underdrive pulley