1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Bought the 2.4 today

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:46 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bought the 2.4 today

Engines here go for 350. Any basic engine will always be 350. And i wasw looking and some of them have like 20k and 30k on them. But slash. I thought the 2.4 turbo wouldent fit in because the exhuast and turbo is to big?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:42 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

but with the ebay turbo kit dont you need more i heard that it wasnt a full kit but i was not able tofind the kit..

Old 03-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: I_Ride_Neon

Engines here go for 350. Any basic engine will always be 350. And i wasw looking and some of them have like 20k and 30k on them. But slash. I thought the 2.4 turbo wouldent fit in because the exhuast and turbo is to big?
The 2.4 will fit just need to change mounts.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:53 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

ok if matt tripp can fit a built 2.4 dcr motor with this turbo on it in a first gen why woulent the 2.4 turbo motor fit???

Name:  372001.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  87.0 KB

Old 03-10-2008, 04:15 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

ok so i did some more searching slash and yes the motor is spendy but from the 2.4 engines im looking at on ebay this engine is cheap.. 25k or watever for $995 or :
UNDER 90K $1025

64 k $900 not including shipping

i know this is for a 2004-2005 but it has 30k $1775

and my engine only has 25k and has a 12 month guarntee for $995

yes i realize that it is still not alot of peformance for the price but this is what i want to do i didnt discourage you when you were talking about making your own turbo kit did i,, no i have never turned down anything that youve wanted to do or anything that you have told me.. andi know i could stick with the 2.0 for alot cheaper and be alot faster but i just want to do something differant for me,, im sure if i just wanted the 2.0 i could of had it running months ago.. someday i will get a turbo but thats after i mod it to be way fast N/a but im only going with some small mods like the
cams
AMM HEAD
AMM Intake

thats not much but it will make it stronger. and then ill lookinto getting a turbo..

SLash give me a link to the ebay turbo i can find them for all other vehicles just nto the neon

Old 03-10-2008, 04:18 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

and for how exspensive this one is i would just save the extra $300 or so and get the hahn turbo kit

Old 03-10-2008, 05:41 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: boxerjl2

ok so i did some more searching slash and yes the motor is spendy but from the 2.4 engines im looking at on ebay this engine is cheap.. 25k or watever for $995 or :
UNDER 90K $1025

64 k $900 not including shipping

i know this is for a 2004-2005 but it has 30k $1775

and my engine only has 25k and has a 12 month guarntee for $995

yes i realize that it is still not alot of peformance for the price but this is what i want to do i didnt discourage you when you were talking about making your own turbo kit did i,, no i have never turned down anything that youve wanted to do or anything that you have told me.. andi know i could stick with the 2.0 for alot cheaper and be alot faster but i just want to do something differant for me,, im sure if i just wanted the 2.0 i could of had it running months ago.. someday i will get a turbo but thats after i mod it to be way fast N/a but im only going with some small mods like the
cams
AMM HEAD
AMM Intake

thats not much but it will make it stronger. and then ill lookinto getting a turbo..

SLash give me a link to the ebay turbo i can find them for all other vehicles just nto the neon

I understand, but the 2.4 isn't going to do anything for you that the 2.0 didn't allready do. The things your not going to like is the slower winding nature of the 2.4 compared to the 2.0. Its also a well known fact that the 2.4 doesn't like to go over 6,000 Rpm, so it pretty much is only good for low end torque because in stock form it doesn't even take full advantage of the DOHC heads.

Boxer you didn't have any grounds to discourage me when I made my homemade manifold and thats beacuse I wasn't spending any money on it only my time and I am smart enough to make a turbo manifold theres not much u can fk up on that hasn't allready been addressed in my research.

I know you say the 2.4 is cheap for a 2.4 but whats cheaper and a 1,000 times betteris the PT cruiser 2.4 with the turbo $1700. The motor is built for it and it allready has a fast spooling turbo.

The hahn Turbo is overpriced I don't care what anybody says, proven turbos like the Garrett T03 and T4s are just as good if not better and can be had for less than $150.

Lets face it a regular 2.4 is just junk for the ammount of money people want for it, its such an embellished piece of machinery. The 2.4 is supposed to be a cheap performance upgrade, well Boxer it appears to be an expensive piece of **** right now.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:43 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

ok but i dont have $1700 i have $1000 to work with and i dont want the 2.0

Old 03-10-2008, 03:47 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

I understand, but the 2.4 isn't going to do anything for you that the 2.0 didn't allready do. The things your not going to like is the slower winding nature of the 2.4 compared to the 2.0. Its also a well known fact that the 2.4 doesn't like to go over 6,000 Rpm, so it pretty much is only good for low end torque because in stock form it doesn't even take full advantage of the DOHC heads.
im pretty sure thats why we use the 2.0 dohc cams

Old 03-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: boxerjl2

im pretty sure thats why we use the 2.0 dohc cams
Its a waste of good cash man thats all I'm gonna say.

If you need 95-96transplant or anybody else to help you do this swap then maybe you shouldn't be making this hasty decision on dropping in any old motor. You could rebuild your sohc cheaper and better than the 2.4. You could have a motor that has a race balanced crank and pistons. Then while its apart you can port the heads and ect...

I think the reason your going with the 2.4 is because I don't think your confident in yourself as a mechanic enough to build a motor or put a turbo on, I think you think its out of your realm and it really isn't. Take it from me its ALOT easier to throw a turbo on than to do a timing belt and cam change, some people may disagree with me but I can do my turbo on and off in warm weather or garagein a hour.

You say your rods are knocking but I'd like to hear an audio clip of that, So if they really are your looking at pulling the motor anyway. There are such things as lifters which can knock and alot of un trainedpeople confuse this knock for rods when its not.

How did the the knock come about? were you racing? lol

Well whatever you choose I can't stop it, your gonna get that piece of **** 2.4 anyway so why stop ya.

Quick Reply: Bought the 2.4 today