1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

what do you think is broken?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:24 AM
fsu182
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what do you think is broken?

ok, now my exhaust cam gear is off by one tooth from center when piston #1 is at TDC. would this cause my car to run rough - and eventually stop running? looks like the intake is right at center. im still struggling with the crank pulley right now. puller is too big. im gonna try and flip the jaws tomorrow like jrmech did.

i havent been able to check my fuel pressure at the rail yet... i just know it has some.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:29 AM
fsu182
Captain

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

Its probably a weak fuel pump or something is clogged in the line or filter.

The EGR is bogus, My EGR went down back inSeptember and the only thing that happened was I got a check engine light nothing else motor ran great and gas mileage was good. I blockedthe EGRoff and blocked the intake off but I still have the check engine light on lol. I'm going to remove that light in the cluster cuz I have a OBD-2 scanner and if the car runs like crap i'll check it. The EGR going badisn't going to do anything otherthan **** your computer off, the motor will run good weather EGR is good or Bad.

took my cel bulb out long ago.... kinda kicking myself now. if the car did have any codes - ive had the battery off so theyre all gone. after i swapped to an atx tb it was throwing tps code but the car ran flawlessly for months. code said incorrect voltage, but i checked it and it was fine. i was tired of looking at the orange glow

Old 03-13-2008, 01:49 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

the cam slipping a tooth on a DOHC can cause all kinds of problems... if it is causing enough knock to make that sensor throw cel, the cam position sensor could be throwing a cel, your car could and probly would not run like it did before... without the cel working its hard to tell. That is why in my opinion its better to fix whatever problem causes the cel in the first place instead of removing or disabling it... that just seems stupid if you ask me.

Gives a whole new meaning to "idiot light"

Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM
fsu182
Captain

code was faulty. car has 218k on it. the light never acted right or i would have left it alone. i really think these problems are unrelated. i was just pointing out i should not have done what i did with the cel.

i wanna know if the exhaust cam gear being off a tooth would make my car not start.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:29 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

no, not unless it has bent a valve or somehow damaged an internal part due to it having slipped.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:47 PM
fsu182
Captain

it was set wrong when the head was put on, then driven about 700 miles like that.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:53 PM
fsu182
Captain

finally got the timing set up right and the car runs much better. yes runs. congrats to u guys that said the fuel pump - although it hadnt failed. the ground wire rusted apart. guess it had a weak connection for a while then broke all together. a 5cent piece of wire fixed the car.

took the fuel line off the rail and put it in an empty mt dew bottle after i set the timing. nothing came out when i turned the motor over. went back to check on how the assembly would come apart and saw the wire.

... what a nice way to start spring break, thanks everybody

Old 07-10-2008, 11:29 AM
dtecneon

Right now i have the same prob. The timing is good. I just put a new fuel pump in from modern Performance and i hear it kick on and all . But it can get it started with carb cleaner in the Throttle body and it runs for few mins but then stalls. I dont know if its the FPR or Fuel fliter. So what should i look for. Timing is good.

Quick Reply: what do you think is broken?