1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Pictures of your air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 03:41 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pictures of your air intakes

if you look in this picture under the air filter you can see that I used a heat shield to help with the "hot air" problem and it works great. The air above the exhaust isnt much hotter than the outside air with the additon of a functionalhood scoop and removal of that rubber piece that seals the backside of the hood to the body. I used a sheild that I had laying around from the side exhaust of an older Viper, its basically heavy gauge aluminum sheet-metal with a fiber layer sandwiched in between. I simply cut it to size and shoved it in there. It will also act as a water splash shield should I ever need it(this is how my ex-wife killed the first 1996 neon I bought her with a similar intake). I only paid $5 for my intake/filter... of course to get them that cheap you get them in some wierd colors.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3774/777BC692F9D94233B16E56F8BDF25671.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-18-2008, 03:44 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

If it's not a true intake that goes into the fender well, or sits close to the ground, then it isn't worth it IMO.
yes, not a true cold air intake. a good intake can give you up to a 10% power inrcease. i dont understand why people are so scared of sucking up water, just dont drive in deep stuff. im just waiting for a used iceman

Old 03-18-2008, 03:51 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

air intake is always a compromise, you can get the most power reasonably possible and risk water entering it, or run it by the exhuast and realize that the only power gain your going to get is in the extremely high rpm when the smoother flow is needed

in 2 months ill post pics of the intake ive been working on, it will be routed through where the battery sits, (i have a pc680 from odyssey so theres plenty of room now, although it can be adapted to a normal battery setup), it will be 2.5 inch mandrel bent thinwallstainless steel bent in a u, and the down pipe will be 3" thinwall stainless steel with a cone filter, ill have to option to the filter up in the winter, and the entire intake will be covered with an insulater so the air wont be heated by the engine compartments ambiant heat, it will resemble neoncrazy's with a smoother flow, and it will be insulated, i will post dyno results as well

i also might change it and run it more like transplantneons with a cone filter, so the intake air comes from completely outside the engine compartment, and insulate the tubing that runs inside the compartment

Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Spawne32
Professional

ORIGINAL: p8ntballa113

This is my ebay intake. Temporary till i get a turbo. The whole where the battery was is from some hack job of an intake the guy before me had on.

[IMG]local://upfiles/84764/746135A9BCF4453186A22F6F551425CC.jpg[/IMG]
that shape would probably fit flawlessly on the car, i just cant find the exact one

Old 03-18-2008, 07:52 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: vipersforsale

if you look in this picture under the air filter you can see that I used a heat shield to help with the "hot air" problem and it works great. The air above the exhaust isnt much hotter than the outside air with the additon of a functionalhood scoop and removal of that rubber piece that seals the backside of the hood to the body. I used a sheild that I had laying around from the side exhaust of an older Viper, its basically heavy gauge aluminum sheet-metal with a fiber layer sandwiched in between. I simply cut it to size and shoved it in there. It will also act as a water splash shield should I ever need it(this is how my ex-wife killed the first 1996 neon I bought her with a similar intake). I only paid $5 for my intake/filter... of course to get them that cheap you get them in some wierd colors.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3774/777BC692F9D94233B16E56F8BDF25671.jpg[/IMG]
I dont know what to say about the coat hanger

Old 03-18-2008, 08:18 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

you like that huh!Ghetto styin'

I couldnt find any other way to keep the whole thing up close to the top, so I used whatever worked.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: 12 volt

If it's not a true intake that goes into the fender well, or sits close to the ground, then it isn't worth it IMO.
yes, not a true cold air intake. a good intake can give you up to a 10% power inrcease. i dont understand why people are so scared of sucking up water, just dont drive in deep stuff. im just waiting for a used iceman
Ok, last year there was fkn storm that dropped like 10 inches of rain instantly and overloaded the citys pumps and half the streets were flooded and the rain was coming down so hard you couldn't see ****, I had water all the way up to the bottom of my alternator and I threw a belt that night, thank God I wasn't running the Starw Intake. The puddle I hit was huge it was about a block long and blocking one of the only ways out of this Grocery store and I didn't want to be caught in the parking lot with Tornado warning Sirens going off so I decided to make a run for it, put the ol' Automatic in1st gear and floored it through the puddle and I made a huge wake in the water and the water was so deep that my motor was cutting out like a **** by the last 10 feet. I made it out and the next morning I found my belt wrapped around my coolent overflow.

Had I had the "straw" intake I'd have been fkd. Be a fkn man make power the honest way not with a cheese ball intake is what I say.

Also with where I live we have snow up here and when we get 40 degree days up here you get smallfloods from the melting snowand can't avoidthe puddlesand if you avoid them some **** sucker in the next lane shoots your car full of water cuz they hit the puddles.

Not onlycan you suck up water, you also will be changing/cleaning the fkr often, you'll have nice crisp power for 2 days then power will dropfaster than your moms pantys in the 1970s once the filter clogs up with dirt.

Basically by putting a intake that sits on the ground you've made your motor into a Wet/Dry Vaccum Cleaner.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Spawne32
Professional

what i wanna know is where can i find one exactly the shape of paintballas

Old 03-18-2008, 09:09 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

what slash says is true... and it can happen to you even with an intake like mine that pulls from above the exhaust. My exwife was in a simialr situation with flood waters raging and tornado sirens going off(why she didnt stay at home with our son that night I will never know) and she was driving around and tried to go through water that was obviously over the road and she made it about half way till the motor made a loud bang and then stopped. Then she calls me to come out into the same crap to save her(I did it for my son) so me and my buddy go and tow the neon back to safety. The next morning it wouldnt turn over at all, so I took a look around the motor and found a nice hole with a rod sticking through it... just goes to show you engines dont like inhaling water.

Having an intake that low to the ground is never a good idea unless you never drive it when its wet.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:11 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Spawne32

what i wanna know is where can i find one exactly the shape of paintballas
on ebay, its where I got mine which is just like his, for about 5-15 bucks plus shipping.

Quick Reply: Pictures of your air intakes