1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Information for a 2.0 engine swap - SOHC to DOHC

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:33 PM
kvip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody looking for a 2.0 complete with harness. Also have a ported intake manifold with Nitrous Express wet kit. A semi-complete 2.4 liter block (have heads, needs pistons,rods, and bearings). Also have 2 trannys one is shorter gearing than the other. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

Originally Posted by IceMan(Mopar_Freak)
in the bottem paragraph are you saying that if i get the camshafts out of a dohc 2.4 liter chrysler they have more torque versus a stock dohc 2.0 liter?

well you probably gain a lil bit of lowend by sticking the 2.4 cams in a 2.0 but you would lose probably most of all your power after 6500rpm which is the redline of the 2.4 so it would really kill the advantage that the 2.0 dohc has over a lot of engines... the 2.4 i know is rated at 150hp and around 150lb-ft which comes from the fact that it has almost a half liter of displacement then the 2.0 so it can have smaller cams and make the same amount of power and more tq then the 2.0... i would still like to see dyno numbers of before and after of a 2.4 one bone stock with 2.4 cams and balance shafts and one with 2.0 cams and without balance shafts i'm betting the differance is a lot bigger then most people relize... the biggest gain in would come from the fact of having the bigger cam and being able to spin that 2.4 up to the 7200 or maybe even farther.... where as with the stock 2.4 cams the power is going to start dropping before the stock redline at 6500 and continue to drop if revd past that... with the 2.0 cams it should still be building power past that...

Old 12-22-2009, 02:51 PM
MikeHump

Hello, I am new to these forums and have a quick question. My apologies for not searching, I do not currently have the time.

I have a DOHC 2.0 1st gen neon and I believe my one (or more) of my rod bearings are going out...based off the sound it is making. So I am pretty much going to need a new motor here soon. I use this car for commuting, I have a motorcycle for when I want to go fast, so I won't mind swapping a SOHC motor into the car. Will I need a new wiring harness for an SOHC motor? I would prefer to get the SOHC for gas mileage and initial cost (less expensive than the DOHC).

From reading the first page of this thread, I have gathered that I will need new motor mounts, a new computer to go along with the SOHC motor, and that I should be able to use all of the sensors from my current motor. Is this true? If not, what sensors will I need? Is the Cam sensor different?

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:46 PM
estneon
Record Breaker

i dont belive you need new mounts...its pretty much just a head swap...you will want to do a computer for a sohc for sure...you would need a new exhaust manifold, intake manifold probably, powersteering might be differnt...i mean theirs alot of little stuff that you would find out lol...its pretty much ''plug and play''...its still alot of work...your not saving much cash by going sohc...and your not really getting alot more gas milage...the price of the stuff and time to get it to work negates the good imo...btw...when i says lots of little stuff its no joke...you will be yelling alot XD

Old 12-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

is the engine only making noise for a while after startup... does it go away after that.... if so then its normal... there has been a lot of stuff about this issue and if i remember right it comes from the fact that chrysler built these motors with a lil more bearing clearance then most motors.... which cause it to sound like your bearings are out when you first start the motor up but then goes away and sounds normal once warmed up a bit

Old 01-22-2010, 01:56 AM
1fast2liter
Captain

in a 2.4 they use the exhaust cam from a 2.0... you need to swap wiring around on the injectors.. need a adapter for the pass side.. the trans will bolt up... usally if your natural aspirated you use the 3.94.. if your turboed you use a 3.55.. any always want a header too.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

wrong both the 2.4 cams intake and exhaust are different then the 2.0 cams...

Old 03-14-2010, 06:44 PM
moparrapom

Question: Is a 2.4 DOHC to a 2.0 SOHC possible? From reading this thread, I would think yes? The car is a 1999 Stratus, the engine is a 2000 neon. The 2.4 is junk, not wanting less power lol. But I have a 2.0 sitting here

Old 03-19-2010, 01:07 AM
fsu182
Captain

the stratus was available with a 2.0 SOHC - so I don't see why not. PCM, Mounts, etc and whatever I don't know. I just know neons.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Dallas97neon

Hey guys, the other day my neon started getting hot. After a few routine check I found that the coolant was full of oil. Whats the most likely cause of this. Head gasket? Cracked head? If it is the head I have found an eclipse motor cheaper than I can buy a head. How complicated would it be to swap the motors?

Quick Reply: Information for a 2.0 engine swap - SOHC to DOHC