1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Painting your interior.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:45 PM
p8ntballa113
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting your interior.

How hard is it to paint the interior of a neon. Dash, door panels, everything. I would like to paint mine black if it would turn out good. Certain kind of paint that works the best?

Old 03-28-2008, 03:05 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Default RE: Painting your interior.

its not really the paint that will make it good (just stay away from the wal-mart 96 cent paint) its preperations,

The best way to do it is to acually lightly sand the entire part then clean it off with Isopropyl alcohol to get all the oil and dirt off of it, then you can get this stuff called bulldog it can be found at some autoparts stores napa has it I know... it helps the paint bond to plastic... adhesive promoter if you will... get 3 layers of that on or so... let it dry compleatly... paint with your color of choice... let dry... throw 3 layers of clear coat on top...

if you want it to stay and not chip this is how you need to do it... if you just go out pull the part out and start to spray it with the paint it will chip and generally look like crap...

Old 03-28-2008, 04:51 PM
p8ntballa113
Professional

Thanks, sounds like i can handle it. Just helped my friend prep a cobra bumber for his mustang... that was work... I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to chip and now i know how.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:01 PM
p8ntballa113
Professional

Is there a way to get a dull looking finish with a protective coat? I would rather not get the glossy looking finish that the clear coat normally gives/

Old 03-28-2008, 05:13 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

There is a special clear coat for that... I would just ask... im not sure what its called...

Old 03-28-2008, 09:39 PM
jfink
Veteran

be careful. did exactly what 95to96 said to do; turned out great, but kinda regret it now. i got manual windows and all around the crank it is fading. for a daily driver it probably won't be a godd thing just cause it would get a lot of abuse over time meaning you would have to reprep the whole thing and start over. might wanna do just highlights(vents......well nothing major like door handles, locks, anything that gets handled alot.)
example:

Old 03-28-2008, 10:14 PM
p8ntballa113
Professional

Was your car interior origionally black? Mine is gray right now and i want to go all black interior. If i was able o buy black door panels and center console then i would only paint the dash and stuff that doesn't get rubbed on.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:18 PM
JackMehoffer69

ORIGINAL: p8ntballa113

Is there a way to get a dull looking finish with a protective coat? I would rather not get the glossy looking finish that the clear coat normally gives/
Yes its called flat paint, for example Flat Black,Flat White ect.... I used Wal Marts paint on my new factory lookingspoiler and it turned out all foggy so then I just used flat black to finish it off it gave the car some character..

A real cool idea is to get the crackle paintthats commonly found on 426 Hemi valve Covers and use that it gives an awesome effect.

As for painting the inside plastic I would just get a very light grit sand paper and lightly sand the plastic parts down and then clean them so they are free of any oils or residue then just use a good quality brand paint like Krylon and paint the needed areas.

You don't need the plastic adheasive stuff 95-96transplant was talking about as having a clean paintingsurface will eliminate the need for that, instead I recomend getting a name brand paint that is the most important factor next to cleaning. I have put together about 100 plasticmodel cars professionallyin my life time of all scales shapes and sizes and have also done body and customwork so I believe myself to be credible, if you don't believe me do a test piece and see for yourself Good prep work will save you hassles in the long run. remember use plenty of vasoline! I mean for the parts that are not to be painted...lol

Quick Reply: Painting your interior.